• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 litre H.O swap vs. v8 swap...

atowley

NAXJA Forum User
Well guys, it's time to swap in an engine. I have a 89 Jeep XJ with all the goodies. My old 4 litre is finally giving up the ghost. So I'm prepping for an engine swap. Would you rather go to a newer H.O motor and change harnesses and all that comes with it? Or do a v8 swap? I'd love to do the v8 swap. Any comments? For those that have done the v8 swap, what drivetrain did you use? Chevy, Mopar, Ford??? Thanks,

Adam,

well if you want a V8 prepare for alot of work. you can use a renix block with n HO intake and head and get the best of both worlds. and you can stroke it aswell. But basicaly by staying with the 4.0 you keep it much simpler and easier since you realy don't have to change the wireing much at all.

With a V8 you will need many thousands of dollars in custom parts, and many many many many many hours of labor trying to make it all fit. If you manage to get it in there and make it run it's probably going to overheat. I would love a V8 in my XJ but it just isn't practical. For all the money you would spend getting a stock, ~200hp V8 in there you could build a really nice ~275hp 4.0 stroker.

I would keep it as a Renix and do a stroker rebuild.

I guess I'll play devil's advocate :firedevil and say swap in the V-8. Yeah, it'll be a lot of work. The cooling and your exhaust will probably be some of the issues you'll have to deal with. Also, I'd plan on swapping a new driveline in, if you haven't already. If you're going to go with a V-8, do something unique. I'd suggest an LS1 or an LT-1. Try to maintain as many of the stock features (AC, Cruise, etc) as possible for that sleeper look. Go for it.

I will also add vote for the V8. I have an 89 and did a Chevy 350 swap in. With regards to some of the comments on doing this. It is less difficult than most would think as far as custom work. Advance Adapters makes motor mounts and a bellhousing to meet up with the AX15 and headers that will route the exhaust properly. As far as cost, yeah it will be somewhat expensive but I can't imagine much more than doing a stroker on a 4.0. Don't you have to redo the fuel injection for a stroker? That was the most expensive part of my rebuild to a V8 (2K for a Holley 950 system). Anyway, if you are interested in more details on what I did feel free to PM me.

xj4x4jeeps said:
I will also add vote for the V8. I have an 89 and did a Chevy 350 swap in. With regards to some of the comments on doing this. It is less difficult than most would think as far as custom work. Advance Adapters makes motor mounts and a bellhousing to meet up with the AX15 and headers that will route the exhaust properly. As far as cost, yeah it will be somewhat expensive but I can't imagine much more than doing a stroker on a 4.0. Don't you have to redo the fuel injection for a stroker? That was the most expensive part of my rebuild to a V8 (2K for a Holley 950 system). Anyway, if you are interested in more details on what I did feel free to PM me.

$150 for 24 lb/hr injectors is the extent of fuel system mods for most strokers. Maybe an AFPR ($100) if you want to tweak fuel pressure.

CRASH

Back