• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating

99xjrunner

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have a question for you more like a problem I have replaced thermostat, water pump, all fluids been flushed and the radiator cap has been changed and the motor which is the 4.0 has been boiling whenever the car is turned off and the temperature just spikes after 20 minutes of driving and it starts to hiccup and back fire to the point where flames have been coming out of exhaust all the gauges go dead until the engine back fires again and in between back fires the check engine light turns on and off its super weird I've had 3 cherokees over the years and this is a first. Pre history I bought it knowing that the head gasket was bad ended up being the head so I got a different head that was resurfaced and had a valve job on it I've done 2 oil changes on it and whenever I fill up the Coolant it mysteriously disappears but it's not going into the oil I'm sorry if this is confusing and if I posted in wrong section thanks in advance for any help or ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you continue to drive when you observe symptoms that are likely to cause the engine to be destroyed ?

The first question to answer is if the Check Engine Light and the related Trouble Codes are the cause of the overheating, or are they caused by the overheating ?

Download the Trouble Codes and post the code numbers.

Since you note that the cooling system boils over when the engine is turned off, and that there is a mysterious loss of coolant, it is likely that there are cooling system deficiencies that need to be fixed ASAP, before you crack the head, or seize up the engine.

Overheating can be caused by anything that decreases the cooling system’s ability to absorb, transport, and dissipate heat, such as a low coolant level, loss of coolant (through internal or external leaks), poor heat conductivity inside the engine because of accumulated mineral deposits in the water jackets or radiator, a defective thermostat that doesn’t open, poor airflow through the radiator, a slipping mechanical fan clutch, an inoperative electric cooling fan, a collapsed lower radiator hose, an eroded or loose water pump impeller or even a defective radiator cap.

The cooling system is a group of related parts that depend on proper function from each of its component parts to keep the engine cool. Service the cooling system and replace any under-performing or suspected weak parts. Any component part of the cooling system that is not fully doing its job will stress the others, and your engine will overheat. Temperature creep on the 4x4 trails, at idle, or in stop-n-go traffic, points to a weak or failing mechanical fan clutch or worn out water pump fins.

The most important maintenance item is to flush and refill the coolant periodically. Coolant should be replaced every 36,000 miles, or every two to three years. Anti-freeze has a number of additives that are designed to prevent corrosion in the cooling system, but they have a limited life span. The corrosion causes scale that eventually builds up and begins to clog the thin flat tubes in the radiator and heater core, causing the engine to eventually overheat.

-Inspect/test or replace the mechanical fan clutch. A worn fan clutch will allow temperature creep at stoplights, in heavy traffic, and on the 4x4 trails. A fan clutch that “looks” OK is not the same as working OK.
-Inspect the electric cooling fan and the fan relay. Apply 12 volts and make sure the e-fan runs. Exchange the cooling fan relay with one of the other similar relays. Confirm that the e-fan starts when engine temps reach 215-218*. Repair or replace the fan or relay as needed.
-Inspect/test or replace the coolant temperature sensor that activates the e-fan.
-Replace the water pump. The pumping fins can deteriorate over time and the pump will not flow enough coolant to keep the temps under control.
-Inspect/replace the radiator hoses. Make sure the coiled wire is installed in the lower hose.
-Inspect all of the frost plugs in the block and the ones on the backside of the head for rust holes and coolant leakage.
-Use a chemical flushing/cleaning solution to remove mineral buildup or rust, flush with clean water, and then drain and fill the radiator with a fresh 50/50 coolant and water mix. With neglected cooling system you may have to flush several times.
-Inspect the radiator for mud/bugs/grass clogging the outside and mineral deposits clogging the inside. Clean or replace as needed.
-Replace the thermostat with a genuine Jeep 195* thermostat. Cheap thermostats are cheap for a reason.
-Replace the radiator cap if your Jeep has one. An old worn out radiator cap will allow boil overs and/or allow the coolant flash over into to steam. You will see the coolant temps suddenly jump from 210* to the Red Zone and back to 210* if your radiator cap is weak.

If you have covered all the points listed above and still have overheating issues, inspect and test the cylinder head for cracks and head gasket for leaks. Exhaust gasses entering the coolant can raise the temperature of the coolant or cause steam pockets in the coolant that will temporarily block the flow of coolant. Inspect the freeze plugs for leakage also.

Read more about cooling systems here –

www.offroaders.com/tech/engine-overheating.htm

www.carparts.com/classroom/coolingsystem.htm

Last edited:
May be more than one problem, but I would immediately replace the Radiator cap, overflow bottle and the hose between them right away, and make the store test the new cap with their rental unit to make sure it holds the rated pressure, 2 of 3 do not the last time I checked.

Then start getting serious about possible issues like bad fuel injectors, bad spark plugs, wires and the entire list Tim posted.

Check the MAP sensor Vacuum line for any leak or near leak!!!!!

Awesome reply Tim!!!!

How old is the radiator? I re-did my cooling system complete, still overheated, did all the checking. Replaced the radiator, fixed it. It was only 4 yrs old. CSF 2 row all metal FAIL. I replaced it with a single row OEM replacement...plastic tanks and all and haven't had a single issue in over 3 yrs.

Have you checked the catalytic converter? Does it rattle? Does it glow red? Constricted exhaust will make it overheat and run poorly.

Your cooling system should hold at least 10 qts full (including the overflow at half full) Are you filling it full? Coolant either leaks out or burns up, it doesn't just disappear. Figure out where it's going.

Back