• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spraying sideways

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to spray out my transfer case well and there's only about a 1/2 dia hole to do it through. Does anyone know how to bend a straw or possibly any kind of mechanism that will let you spray out the inside of a compartment using only a relatively small hole for access. It would probably look something like a bendable straw possibly.

Thanks

spray it out with what and for what purpose?

don't say brake cleaner.
You'll never get it all out and it will look like strawberry milkshake until you change it a half a dozen times.

made that mistake once.

just fill and drain it a few times if it's got nasty in it, or split it as suggested above.

Well I guess my original question is why as well. If it is full of metal shavings and crap then you have bigger issues, or if it was really nasty then just change it and run it for a week then change it again.

Dexron is pretty darned detergent and cleans well all on it's own. Having said that, I use something like this occasionally, www.amazon.com/Undercoating-Gun-Spray-Wand-Kit/dp/B00CX90WTU. It will pump out solvent or even detergent suds sideways in those hard to get to places. I use it mostly for blowing out mud packed in the frame and other places.

I don't know if I'd try to flush out a transfer case, it may cause more harm than good, you may blow something loose that is best left undisturbed. Running a quart of Dexron through an undercoating wand would likely do a good job of flushing the transfer out.

If your careful you can heat the plastic extension for a spray nozzle and bend it. I use a heat gun.

Back