• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ has overheated... what should I do?

sx250xl

NAXJA Forum User
The condensor fan on my 98 XJ stopped working a while ago. I left it in the driveway running for about 5 minutes about a week ago in 100° ambient, I came back outside and it was 230° or so, maybe the first line in the red zone. The "check gauges" light was on. Instead of turning it off and letting it sit, I immediatley got in and started driving to get air over the radiator. When I did this the fan clutch was obviously engaged so it cooled down right away. I tried wiring up a switch to the fan, but it would only spin very slowly when I gave it a nudge (when connected right to the battery). I deduced that the fan was shot, so I have ordered another. I can drive it right now and it gets above 210 sometimes when I drive, but mostly stays below. I have not experienced any idling, power, startup, or loss of coolant since then. My question is, once I replace my condensor fan, is my XJ ok? Assuming the fan keeps the temp under control, is there anything else I need to do? I was thinking about doing a drain and fill on my transmission, even though it had a complete flush about 10k miles ago, and I have no shifting problems. Also, I have replaced the thermostat, all coolant hoses (as well as the inlet support spring), radiator, and coolant within 10k miles as well. Any input is appreciated... Thanks!

Sounds like you just need the need the new Efan.

X2 - tranny fluid should be fine. And don't be shocked if your efan doesn't come on a as early as you think it should. IIRC, it turns on at 217F or maybe it was 223F and runs until it comes down to 217. Did you try two wires direct from the battery to the fan?

change the fan and run it, maybe check your clutchfan and make sure its working but sounds like all your other bases have been covered in the last 10k.

Back