• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water leak

97xjsam

NAXJA Forum User
When tryin to find the leak with a water hose sprayin around the heater fan motor seems to be the culprit. Is this common as I do not remember anybody mentioning this in the threads I read. I assume there is a seal or gasket that needs to be replaced.

Hoses deteriorate from the inside out over time. Its possible one of them sprung a leak. Not a bad plan to change hoses periodically as preventive maintenance. If someone has been into that area before its possible the tubes off the heater core have be rubbing against the firewall and have worn a pin hole through.

OK, are you saying a water leak or a coolant leak? On the passenger side, if you have A/C, the most common issue is a clogged drain and the condensation builds up and overflows.

Def not an antifreeze leak and my AC is not workin at this time. It is a water leak when it rains that does not leak as bad or at all when I park with the passenger side higher. Sprayin a garden hose around the heater fan motor under the hood seems like the leak.

It can leak around the seal for the fan, the vent hose, the casing, like say near the seals where the heater core come through and ac lines in.

The most normal culprit is the windshield. I've been fighting this in various forms for decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd bet money on the seal between the blower motor and the firewall as being the source of your leak. It's a common leak area in '97s and up. Replacing the seal is a PITA, as you have remove the dash, then the mixing box; to access the seal.

A simpler solution would be to apply silcon all around the seal, from inside the engine bay; where the blower motor is. That should stop your leak.

Also, check the wireloom that runs along the top of the firewall, above the blower motor. The one on my '98 seemed to carry water on it and then drip directly into the problem area. Just zip tie way from the firewall as much as you can, and that should also help....

The following thread below also shows some pics on how to fix the problem:

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1028333&highlight=leak+drip&page=2

My XJ used to leak at that very same place. I spent several months chasing that leak dismantling and re sealing every opening on that side. It turned out to be the missing hard sealer where the fender and other body panels come together. A generous application of silicone promptly put an end to water accumulating in the passenger foot well.

Something to check before you get to far along is pin holes in the canted front of the passengers side foot well or the floorboards.

The tires sling water off the street up there and forces it through the pin holes or small rusted through spots.

Worth a look before you start with the silicon.

I know most of these threads are old, but I also know that some of us have not found the source even with all the suggestions.

Mine has been leaking on both sides for a long time and I've chased it for so long I now need to replace the floorpans as you can see here.

IMG_0296_zpsbjyngokj.jpg

The water has consistently come in this hole in the inner rocker panel near the seat bracket on both sides which lead me to believe the water was traveling down the A pillar.

IMG_0297_zps8nuqsglw.jpg

But I couldn't figure out how the water was getting in until last night. There are two drain holes on each side under the cowl. One towards the front and another smaller hole (3/8" or so) closer to the windshield, over near the hood hinge. The front one is more of a rectangular hole that drains down through the fender. The small round hole drains down through the A pillar.

This picture is looking under the cowl with the wiper transmission removed. To the left is the lower edge of the windshield. I've plugged this and have no water leaks on the DS.

IMG_0298_zpstf9lgb5x.jpg

The hard part is on the passenger side because the inlet for the heater/AC is in the way, but I think I can get at it with a tube on the caulking gun. Maybe.

I wish the pictures were better, but it's not an easy spot to get at. HTH.

The hard part is on the passenger side because the inlet for the heater/AC is in the way, but I think I can get at it with a tube on the caulking gun. Maybe.
The air intake for the dash HVAC, located under the cowl on the passenger side, can leak, when the gasket rots out. This happened on my 1997 XJ.
A section of sheet metal, under the plastic cowl cover, had to be cut out to access the intake. A polyurethane sealant and a gloved hand were used to reseal the plastic intake. It's done by touch.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246434823

The air intake for the dash HVAC, located under the cowl on the passenger side, can leak, when the gasket rots out. This happened on my 1997 XJ.
A section of sheet metal, under the plastic cowl cover, had to be cut out to access the intake. A polyurethane sealant and a gloved hand were used to reseal the plastic intake. It's done by touch.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246434823

Thanks, yeah that's what I ended up doing. Fun stuff, but I think I got it now.

Yes, it isn't the best looking repair but considering its impossible to see, who cares? Curing the leak is all that matters.
The cowl air intake on my 97 was sealed with a foam gasket that had totally disintegrated.

Back