• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best sealant.

StratoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everybody, own a '96 cherokee 230k miles automatic trans. I replaced the bushing on the extension housing and use a gasket making sealant design to withstand oils, waited 24 hrs for it to cure before I put it together and torque the bolts to specs. After about 30 days of driving it starts leaking oil. The sealant that I use is from pembroke (spelling)red color tube and dark gray paste. Is there a better sealant that you all recommend for this king of job.
Thanks
Mike

Hello everybody, own a '96 cherokee 230k miles automatic trans. I replaced the bushing on the extension housing and use a gasket making sealant design to withstand oils, waited 24 hrs for it to cure before I put it together and torque the bolts to specs. After about 30 days of driving it starts leaking oil. The sealant that I use is from pembroke (spelling)red color tube and dark gray paste. Is there a better sealant that you all recommend for this king of job.
Thanks
Mike

Sealant must be wet on both parts, part must be cleaned.

Yeah, that's your problem.

I apply to one side of the adjoining parts,put the parts together, then, pull off to see that sealant has made full contact, snug all bolts........then......after about 20 minutes I go back and retighten all the bolts......done.

Sorry guys I gave the wrong info, wait about 5 min before joining and 24 hours before adding oil. I use permatex ultra specifically for oils black color bottle gray paste this time I will try high temp type paste.

Thanks
Mike

What is a bushing on the extension housing????

Yeah, Ultra Black.

Extension on the end of the AW4 transmission or transfer case. There is a wear bushing, replacable, inside the housing that wears out over time. The extension housing has a flange face on the back. One of them looks like this:

83503156_NP231_NP233_NP242_EXTENSION_HOUSING__90330.1421967477.386.513.jpg

I used Permatex Copper for over 10 years on all my seal surface areas including that one. They need to be assembled hand tight, and slightly wet, not cured on the sealer. Then later, like 30 minutes later (depending on temperature) torque them to spec.

Sealant must be wet on both parts, part must be cleaned.

Yeah, that's your problem.

I apply to one side of the adjoining parts,put the parts together, then, pull off to see that sealant has made full contact, snug all bolts........then......after about 20 minutes I go back and retighten all the bolts......done.

Good advise on technique!!!! Especially the cleaning.

Sorry guys I gave the wrong info, wait about 5 min before joining and 24 hours before adding oil. I use permatex ultra specifically for oils black color bottle gray paste this time I will try high temp type paste.

Thanks
Mike

Try the Ultra Copper high temp. Never had it fail, even on transmission fluid. Make sure you torque the bolts in sequence. Are you sure the sealant area is where it is leaking?

I used to use Curil on everything(40 yrs), but now it's Yamabond, it seals against everything!

Back