• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer not working

Neto BRAZIL

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

For those 99,99% that do not know me, my name is Ernesto and I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil. My Jeep is a 97XJ 4WD Sport model and I have made several mods in the suspension, but currently use my Jeep only in urban streets.

My former mechanic did a very suspicious thing. After staying in his shop for more than two months, my XJ came back with the speedometer not working. Also, the car ceased to count mileage, and the numbers in the instrument panel remain the same, regardless of how much I drive.

Since I do not want to look at his face again (and maybe punching him), I would like to know if anyone could please give me a hand on that. Is it possible that I fix the speedometer and mileage indicator by adding or removing a fuse, for instance?

Well, this is it. I thank you all in advance for the attention.

Next time, I will not be so naive... :nono:

Best trails,
Neto

not sure yours is the same as my 89, but i would check to see if the speedometer gear in the side of transfer case is operating properly. if he changed it he may not have "clocked" it properly.

97 might have a fuse, not sure.

My thoughts.....Sounds suspiciously like the speedo gear. I'd check that too. Here's a good link on how to deal with that... Click me!

Thank you, 89XJ, I will take a good look over the speedo gear.

Hope we solve it! It seems like the mpst probable cause.

Ivan, thank you for the instructions, very detailed indeed!

I cannot wait to have my speedometer back again...

Does anyone know if you can put the newer speedo gear (93 or newer) in a older (91) TCase? Also, is the electrical connection different from the old vs. new? THanks!

a year or two ago all my speedo stuff quit working in my '89 XJ...no speed reading, no change in odometer numbering....
i know on these older model jeeps there is a speedo cable coming from the rear of the tranny to a cruse control sensor thingy (lack of knowing correct term) and then to the back of the speedometer gauge....

have you checked to make sure the cable is attached correctly at the back of the gauge cluster, or correctly/fully to the cruse control module?
have you checked to make sure the cable works from both ends?

because of where the cable is mounted on both my XJs ('98 and '90) it can easily get too close to the exhaust manifold...and melting the cover off, allowing water, dirt and other whatnot to get inside the cable...thus allowing it to corrode, wear quickly and easily...and evetually causing a break in the rod that runs through the cable....thats what happened on my '89

check and see if that might be your problem....if one end turns, and the other doesn't...or you can pull one end of the rod out of the cable...and the other end remains.....
that could very well be your problem....

KinesthesiaDrums said:
... have you checked to make sure the cable is attached correctly at the back of the gauge cluster, or correctly/fully to the cruse control module?
have you checked to make sure the cable works from both ends?

There is no cable on a '97 speedometer. Chrysler changed to an electronic speedometer in 1991.

If the mechanic worked on the transmission or the transfer case, or if you changed the axle gears and replaced the speedometer gear to correct for a different ratio and/or larger tires, I agree that the drive gear at the transfer case is the probable cause. When I sent a new speedometer gear to Mike in Chile he needed two or three attempts before his speedometer functioned, and after I replaced the flex plate on the XJ I sent to Montana I installed and re-installed the drive gear four or five times before I got it to function.

If that is not the problem, there is a fuse. When I test drove a new 2000 a few years ago the speedometer did not function. The salesman told me they are shipped with the fuse removed, and they install the fuse when they prepare a vehicle for delivery to a buyer.

I don't know which fuse it is, but run a check on all fuses. There are two fuse panels, one under the hood (bonnet, if you use British English in Brazil), and one behind the kick pad on the right side of the passenger foot well.

Ivan said:
My thoughts.....Sounds suspiciously like the speedo gear. I'd check that too. Here's a good link on how to deal with that... Click me!
Hate to drag up this thread but, my speedometer just went out but, everything else is working in the dash. It had quit working for short periods prior to this failure but it appears to be DOA or as my emergency room RN/wife would say..."DRT" (dead right there).

I have a '92 Limited with the 242 TC and it is different than what is in the link's photos in that I have 2 plugs going into the rear of my TC. Can I use the link's excellent "how to" or should I keep seaching?

Thanks,

Reed

Just an update because I have a strong hatred for threads without an answer! I checked my connections at my NP242 and on the engine side of the firewall. I cleaned them with some premium contact cleaner and Speedo was still dead. I had recently replaced the rear half of my NP242 because of ill addressed driveline vibrations had taken out the rear half of the 242 and my diff pinion yoke. Not the smartest PO nor was I a smartest buyer.(I am new btw if, you hadn't guessed)

The speedo would work at times when off road but, would fail soon there after. I took my old sensor out of my destroyed rear half of my 242 and I have a working speedomer again. I appreciate all the the help and the "alternative thinking" that the forum provides!

Just a pic of my wrecked 242!

ea53cb51.jpg

I have a doozy of a question about vacuum leaks that I will ask tomorrow but instead of finding places where my idle raises,,,,,,,It almost dies with 5-90's exlellent advice with fogging with carb cleaner. Be safe you guys!

Reed

Sorry to repost in a dead thread but i just bought a 93 xj sport and noticed the speedo sometimes sticks at 35. Doesnt stick anywhere else and when i drop down to 5mph or so the gauge will drop back down. Any thoughts?

The sticking at 35 sounds like the physical needle is getting stuck. It may be a bad guage or the needle got pushed. If you take the dash trim off you can remove the plastic cover to the gauge cluster and gently pry the needle out a smidge just make sure not to take it off. Or it might not locate correctly and give you incorrect speeds

Back