• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Center Console

I have had one of these in my '93 XJ and liked it so much that I retrofitted one into my '90 XJ.

Pluses: It holds drinks pretty well and it is within a reasonable reach of the driver.
Minuses: It invades the passenger leg space and can be knocked off when a big person is sitting there

My '90XJ came with the version that hung over the emergency brake handle and I hated it. Not only did it make it harder to engage the emergency brake, it was too shallow for many cups and easy to knock a cup over.

The version in the pic below isn't too hard to retrofit but the old rule of measure twice, cut once is definitely in play. You will have to remove the top plate of the center console and cut two notches for the holder to latch into. Once reinstalled, you will then have to cut a small notch in the body of the center console to receive the locking tab from the cup holder. I used a dremel with a small cutting blade for the top two notches but the bottom notch must be square so IIRC, I used the dremel (with a drill bit) to create an approximate square notch (used it like a router) and then a small file to clean up the corners.

If you choose this route be aware that the bottom tab is supposed to push up a little so you want that bottom notch to be slightly higher than when the cup holder is just hanging. That bottom tab of the cup holder has a groove cut into it so that when it is under this slight pressure, it locks everything into place.

HTH
Todd

Its supposed to be for the 91-96 models with the slots already there. I know my old 85 has no slots like this. I'll have to look at the others later. One dealer on eBay says you can add this to models that lack the slots by adding them, I'm not too confidant about that. I'm not even sure how well this design works

Here is a pic from the eBay seller who says it can be added to other model xj

I only stumbled across it because there was a odd looking cherokee console ending on eBay that didn't look like it came out of a xj so I did a search on consoles in google and this picture came up leading me to eBay and a cup holder I've never seen in a xj before.
a775fbc3597af5f8df5a529381cac1e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back