• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cowl hood i need ideas

rowicki

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i am kinda new to this but have been searching around for a while.
i am in the beginning stages of building a 6 in. cowl 18 inches wide and front to back of the hood. the general construction doesnt pose any problem and my thought is to go to lowes and by the 3 foot steel L brackets and rivet the cowl the the bracket and the bracket to the hood. reason being i am concerned about the flex of the hood itself blowing all of my rivets and cracking all of the bondo and fiberglass. this may or may not work. still thinkin....
any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

rowicki said:
reason being i am concerned about the flex of the hood itself blowing all of my rivets and cracking all of the bondo and fiberglass

I had that issue. I welded mine on, with tacks every 2 inches or so. There were a couple spots that the tacks were 3 - 3.5 inches apart and the bondo in these spots started to crack a little. I think its from when the hood closes, since I have to slam it a bit.

IMG_4168.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

IMG_4170.jpg

I don't have any pictures of the cracks, but they are extremely small, and barely noticeable, but they are there. I will be going back and throwing a bunch of tacks on the inside of the scoop as well, which should eliminate that problem.

I found a color that is an identical match to the faded blue as well, so the hood looks pretty good now that its the same color.

The one peace look is hard to beat and if done right will not separate. But the add on look is cool to just get a prefab scoop made to bolt on and use polished stainless fasteners.

rowicki said:
hey blue xj did you do an add on or cut and bend...reason i ask is i see the dip in the center of the hood.....

I picked up a spare hood and separate the skin from it, then cut it to the shape I wanted and bent the sides down. I cut out the entire area below the scoop as well, so it is fully functional, you can see the heat pouring out of it when the engine is warm.

thanks man and all of you i now have some new ideas to think about and dream up. any more feel free to post im not starting yet so more ideas the better

Back