• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter Relay?

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there,
Hope you are having a good weekend.
On my 1989 XJ with a 4.0/AWD, when I turn the key, nothing!
If I jump my green wire on my starter relay, to the battery terminal, she starts right up! So, I am thinking the relay is gone. Anything else I should check before I replace it? Also, is there a "good deal" out there for the part, or should I just go to the auto shop and grab one or get one from the junk yard?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

hi Bob, I had the same problem, I tapped the solenoid, it started few more times, then next day it died for good, I was in a parking lot close to advance auto parts , took my old starter off ,walked to advance and the price of a new one with the core exchange was about ninety buckaroos, lifetime warranty, good luck ...

German996

One green wire sends 12v to the starter solenoid. Jumping this directly to the battery will test the starter and solenoid. Looks like you've done this.

The other green wire gets 12v from the ign switch when you turn the switch to START. Get a VM or "noid" light and check it.

You can also use a jumper wire and jump from the battery to the terminal on the relay that connects the green wire to the switch. This should energize the relay and crank the starter.

Yep,
When I put the green wire that goes to the starter, she spins and fires right up. The problem is when I turn the key, I get nothing! Just want to make sure it is not the TPS or something along those lines......

Thanks,
RG

starter relay or neutral safety switch. Try starting in neutral instead of park (assuming it's automatic) and try moving the gear shift while trying to crank. You can usually clean and reuse the N.S.S. if it's the problem.

Back