• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator removal and replace

jpk

NAXJA Forum User
I'm performing this job on my 1996 XJ Country and it is being a SOB. I have everything removed and I cannot get the old alternator out. I have pulled the front mount as well it will not come out and I don't see anyway to do it. I'm thinking about removing the entire alternator mount from the block. Any suggestions?

Try a pry bar between the alternator housing and the block. if you truly did find every bolt, it will move with the pry bar.

Um, I remember one of the bolts was tricky, almost hidden. Had to get to it behind and underneath the ac compressor. If I'm remembering it correctly
If you have all the bolts for off try prying a little, once it's lose it'll try and smash you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got to do that job on my '96, and while 1,000 miles from home too.

You can compare the new one for bolt locations. Note the sleeve that one bolt goes through. That sleeve is designed to slide into position as you tighten its bolt. Well, on your old one, that sleeve is now in the tight position. Removal of the bolt alone will not cause that sleeve to retract. A bit of selective prying will reintroduce some play in that particular mounting point.

I also found it most expedient to remove the battery and battery tray. That gave me just enough room to bring the alternator out and up. It barely cleared the "frame" rail, and required that the AC line be pushed down a bit for the sake of clearance.

Doing that job made me appreciate even more my old Chevy motors where I could swap an alternator in 10 minutes in the parking lot of the parts store.

Just did this a few weeks ago, and agree with the above. Basically impossible until you remove the battery and battery tray, then its pretty easy. Rotate it through the void in front of the belt on the way past where the battery was and you're good.

Last time I replaced it I actually got from the bottom of the motor, now I did remove most of the front of the motor because I had to replace the cracked ac bracket but I'm pretty sure I didn't have any major brackets out when I pulled the alternator, assuming the 96 is the same as 92.

First time I did pull all the stuff like battery tray but found it didn't really matter.

Edit: here's a video that is about how I remember getting the alternator out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f5rgSgokobA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just did my '91 about a month ago, and I removed the battery and tray. Plus, there was a stamped metal piece in front of the alternator, bolted down with (I think) 5 bolts. That piece formed the front-lower part of the alternator mount. Once I took that piece off, and the battery and tray, the alternator came out easily.

It pissed me off ... I was futzing around with it not making any progress until I removed those things. Next time, I'll have it out in 15 minutes.

Best of luck.

I have removed the battery tray and that front stamped metal bracket. The only thing preventing removal from the top are the AC line and the actual primary alt mount that bolts to the block. If I try to remove it from the top behind the mount it hits an AC part about the size of a can. If I try to remove it from the top front it hits the main mount and AC line. It will not go out through the bottom. I've tried through the front bottom and rear bottom and there's just too much hanging it up. I've watched the Bleepin Jeep video and his XJ is an older model. It really is not much help. The FSM says to remove it after removing the bolts, that's all it says so it is no help either.

Front and top was doable on my '96. Took a bit of rotating/twisting/turning, but I did it.

ETA: What condition are your motor mounts in? I imagine if they are well collapsed you would lose some clearance, and there is not much available to be lost and still sneak the alternator out. I wonder if this is your Jeep's way of telling you that it is time to do motor mounts.

Last edited:
If I put a little up lift on the engine via he oil pan to give a little clearance, would that help? I've never replaced the engine mounts so I have no idea if they are in poor condition. Would the oil pan be able to support a slight lift of perhaps a half inch?

Yes, you can lift by jacking the oil pan. Put a board between the jack and oil pan to spread the load.

Back