• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ is hurting

Cheatum

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ has been down for 8 months while I gathered the funds to fix it. Life got in the way and zapped my funds big time.

So here is my issue. My radiator had a leak. Which I installed a new radiator and upper and lower hoses. My battery was shot. So I bought a new one. I hook it up and ZAP the juice is drained but not all of it. It acts like I have a short but I have no idea where to start.

I turn the key and the lights inside the dash light up, but the second I turn the key to start it, no more juice??????

Any ideas? Please HELP!

Desperate to get her back on the road.

Cheatum

Bad battery cables can do the same thing, had this on several cars. It may look ok, headlights may even be bright, turn the switch to start and it's gone.
Cables may look ok but be corroded inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the bad battery cables or cable ends. had a very similar occurrence on my '92 XJ, bought new cables and ends and I was back on the road

What year is your rig?

You need to use a multi meter and watch the battery voltage post to post while some one cranks. If drops under 10 volts the starter or battery is bad (or discharged). If it holds voltage at say 12.5 volts, the starter or starter solenoid on the starter or cables or cable connections are bad(dirty), or the ignition switch on the steering column way under the dash and or wiring at the ignition switch has gone bad.

The ignition switch could be bad also.

One can jump the starter solenoid posts with the transmission in neutral (manual) or Park for automatic, with a large screwdriver to see if the starter works, or jump power the power input of the solenoid to if the solenoid and starter work bypassing the ignition switch.

There are you tube videos and write ups on the internet on how to do these tests.

Battery cable corrosion likely. Soak the leads in glass of Coca-Cola for 10 minutes then rinse with water. Make sure the wires are connected to the battery terminals tight without corrosion buildup

Battery cable corrosion likely. Soak the leads in glass of Coca-Cola for 10 minutes then rinse with water. Make sure the wires are connected to the battery terminals tight without corrosion buildup

I now prefer using a stainless wire brush and a brake clean aerosol rinse. Does a far superior job.

Back