• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

battery relocation?? pics??

bluejeepkid

NAXJA Forum User
im lookin ginto relocating my battery and also maybe doing a dual battery kit a well....the only thing is i dont know where a good spot would be to relocate it too....anyone have suggestions or pics??

Depends on where you want to mount the battery. If you want it in the cargo area, secure it properly wherever you like and run your cables. If you want it under the hood, there are kits available where you basically take out your stock airbox and install an aftermarket intake designed for this purpose. The new battery installs where the factory airbox used to sit. Do a google search for them.

Depends on where you want to mount the battery. If you want it in the cargo area, secure it properly wherever you like and run your cables. If you want it under the hood, there are kits available where you basically take out your stock airbox and install an aftermarket intake designed for this purpose. The new battery installs where the factory airbox used to sit. Do a google search for them.

Diesel XJs supposedly had an OEM battery tray for that location. Who makes a kit?
Billy

Wanting to lighten-up the nose of my XJ, I relocated mine to the rear passenger side,
ran welding cable back, placed it in a plastic tool box bolted thru the floor, strapped
in and closed, just looked like a tool box.

ShowLetterc.jpg

ShowLettera.jpg

Wanting to lighten-up the nose of my XJ, I relocated mine to the rear passenger side,
ran welding cable back, placed it in a plastic tool box bolted thru the floor, strapped
in and closed, just looked like a tool box.

ShowLetterc.jpg

ShowLettera.jpg

sick, i like that alot

In a rollover it looks like that box wouldn't stay where it is and the battery would flop around inside. I suappose a ratchet strap around the box and cage could fix the box from moving around though.

Don't batteries emit fumes, and need to be vented? Or can you just mount in the cargo area without proper venting?

Don't batteries emit fumes, and need to be vented? Or can you just mount in the cargo area without proper venting?

Thats what I seem to recall hearing as well. If Im not mistaken 5-90 went off about Optimas and how they were supposedly closed, but arnt.

I couldnt find the post either, so its all hearsay.

I was trying to figure out how I could mount my battery farther forward and up a little bit higher so I can cut some inner fender out, but I dont think thats possible without going to a smaller battery.

So whats the advantage to having a larger battery? The "standard" seems to be a yellow or red Optima, but does one really need that?
Sure if your winching a bunch, or run a ton of lights you might need a larger battery. But if one were to get a smaller battery, wouldnt the alternator just work more?

I know Capt. Ron has a small battery in his buggy (motorcycle?). Does anyone else run a small battery with good results?

I know from experience that Optimas and Orbitals outgas if they are overcharged. I don't think they do under normal circumstances though. Might be something to ask the mfg abt.

A car battery can produce 1000 amps for brief periods of time, like cranking or winching. Alternators put out somewhere between 50 and 150 depending on how beefy it is. Having a big battery is also handy for repeated starts without time to recharge, and running lights and radios and stuff. Racers like small batteries because they are light. There's no reason to run a smaller battery in a Jeep IMO. Bigger, sure.

Last edited:
i have mine in the passenger floor board, but i had removed the air conditioner so there is "right now" a big hole in the firewall. i havent gotten straped down yet, but ima go buy a battery box at autozone and put it there, then it will be good to go, im running a red top.

I know from experience that Optimas and Orbitals outgas if they are overcharged. I don't think they do under normal circumstances though. Might be something to ask the mfg abt.

A car battery can produce 1000 amps for brief periods of time, like cranking or winching. Alternators put out somewhere between 50 and 150 depending on how beefy it is. Having a big battery is also handy for repeated starts without time to recharge, and running lights and radios and stuff. Racers like small batteries because they are light. There's no reason to run a smaller battery in a Jeep IMO. Bigger, sure.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge then I can chime in on the battery and gas stuff, but I could have sworn someone talked with Optima and they said that putting a battery in the cargo compartment without a vent is a bad idea.

Reasons that I can think of for a lighter battery are weight and space savings. Sure it might be a bit extreme, but I know I could use the space under the hood for other things.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge then I can chime in on the battery and gas stuff, but I could have sworn someone talked with Optima and they said that putting a battery in the cargo compartment without a vent is a bad idea.

Reasons that I can think of for a lighter battery are weight and space savings. Sure it might be a bit extreme, but I know I could use the space under the hood for other things.

I do believe it was 5-90 that said that. And I am pretty sure it was said that batteries like Optima will emit gas but only when charging. So what ever you do make sure you vent the battery when it is inside the cab.

In a rollover it looks like that box wouldn't stay where it is and the battery would flop around inside. I suappose a ratchet strap around the box and cage could fix the box from moving around though.

If you're refering to 'my' set-up, I stated the box was thru bolted thru the floor, and the
battery was strapped in.

Never had an issue with battery gases, I've run rear batteries in 2 different XJ's, my M715
had 2 batteries located between the front seats (stock), never seemed to be an issue.

Never had an issue with battery gases, I've run rear batteries in 2 different XJ's, my M715
had 2 batteries located between the front seats (stock), never seemed to be an issue.

You really should vent the battery externally. You will not notice the gas. You won't even be able to smell it. Regardless of what you see & smell or don't see & don't smell, you are harming yourself and your passengers.

E

You really should vent the battery externally. You will not notice the gas. You won't even be able to smell it. Regardless of what you see & smell or don't see & don't smell, you are harming yourself and your passengers.

E
from what I have been told the danger arises from high charging situations when large amounts of hydrogen/ogygen are produced and the danger of ignition increases, it is not toxic.

Point well taken, perhaps one of those virtical rubber vents found in some air box applications....better safe than sorry I guess.

Back