• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise on a Manual XJ

No but you can add a thumb control.
yvapynyg.jpg
azadunud.jpg

Caartman, Guessing that comment was for the laughs, but to the OP... Yes there was a factory optioned cruise control for all years of the xj. My 88 and my 98 both manual both had/have cruise.

yes, it was available. IIRC there is special programming in the ECU to handle things so it doesn't peg the rev limiter when you clutch in to upshift? I'm not sure on that.

That would make sense, I know when I inadvertantly shift when in cruise, the revs jump, but not crazy... I will try it tomorrow and report what I see.

On my '85 2.5 there was, of course, no ECU. Clutch in simply disengaged the cruise via a switch. I don't know if there was anything else to prevent a jump in revs but it was not a problem.

I can't find my old owner's manual offhand but I wonder if it was as simple as telling the driver not to put the clutch in while cruise was engaged? Now I'm curious.

Last edited:
yes, it was available. IIRC there is special programming in the ECU to handle things so it doesn't peg the rev limiter when you clutch in to upshift? I'm not sure on that.

every 5 spd vehicle I've ever driven with cruise simply turned off the cruise when you hit the clutch, same as stepping on the brake pedal.

every 5 spd vehicle I've ever driven with cruise simply turned off the cruise when you hit the clutch, same as stepping on the brake pedal.
I didn't think the 96 and down 4.0/ax15 had a clutch safety switch, which is why I'm a bit confused about this. I know that some 97 and up vehicles do, since I pulled one at the junkyard, but not sure what exact year that started.

Thanks !

maybe this is way my post production install cruise doesn't work!

no clutch switch!
my cruise fails to stay on when engaged.

I didn't think the 96 and down 4.0/ax15 had a clutch safety switch, which is why I'm a bit confused about this. I know that some 97 and up vehicles do, since I pulled one at the junkyard, but not sure what exact year that started.

it may be that chrysler was just late to the party.

Dad' 5 sp 1987 Ford Aerostar had one, and it turned off the cruise when you stepped on the clutch.

Yes, my dad ordered a Ford Aerostar in 1987 with a 4.0 V6, 5 spd and limited slip.

It was the most awesomest minivan drivetrain ever.

holy crap, that's awesome. Almost as awesome as the turbo 5 speed minivan I heard you could get in the late 80s / early 90s.

I checked rockauto and they have a clutch safety switch for 97 and later model years, but none for the 96 and earlier. Will have to check the factory parts catalogs later.

Back