• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP241 or NP231 OR ???

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Okay guys, so I rebuilt my TC over the weekend and installed an SYE kit and then my brother in law hit the gas and not the brake pulling in my garage and knocked the case off my work bench and the case is now destroyed. I have a budget of 1500, for a new case and am thinking about either an NP241 from a 2003-2006 TJ, or a JB Conversions HD 231, or maybe something else. Anyone have any constructive input?

If you can swing it the 241OR would be a nice setup because you get 4:1. Otherwise the JB is a nice setup, wide chain, 6 gear planetary.

Does anyone have the link for the magazine article showing the 241 being installed in an XJ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the ruby 241 is a big upgrade , but big dollars & sometimes hard to find. mine cost me $1800 , and i got a good deal, all the others i found were 2 k & up. jb does make high quality items.

Was it a difficult swap or bolt in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its a bolt in, but there are some issues to deal with . like shifter hookup, speedo cable, rear driveshaft replaced. nothing too hateful, just some time & more money, yet its still worth the effort. the low range is super low.

My 241 was a drop-in with only the VSS being a issue! I bought mine brand new when they first came out. It's been 15yrs but I think I had to flip the shift linkage around.
FH000015_zpsximeea2s.jpg

I swapped a 241J from a TJ a few weeks ago. I ended up clocking the case to get it to fit with my existing skid plate/ cross member and had to notch the exhaust bracket under the transmission mount.

I used yokes from Power Train Industries to save a few bucks over JB. They have the correct counter bore for this application and the dust shields/

http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/PTI-3104-322CV.html

She hangs down bit so i clocked it. AW4/241OR

Would link a pic but photobucket is broken still for most and didnt notice before but cant upload pics to Naxja?

Where did you source your transfer case?

I found mine on Pirate. I've been using Search Tempest for Craigslist, found one in Rockland when I was training in Sacramento. Missed out on that one cause he already had a guy coming for it. There are some on Ebay but those are all stupid money or from a JK. There are some on car-part.com but nothing local to me. I'd rather not pay shipping, but was going to get one from Connecticut if need be. They were all around $1500 and seem to sell rather quick.

Back