• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4/Idle Issues

IHWheelin

NAXJA Forum User
Recently purchased this XJ and it has some shifting issues. So I cleaned out the NSS and replaced the TPS. Still has same type of issues. When coming to a stop it seems to not shift back out of 3rd and then stalls out. Once its turned off then restarted it will shift through the gears again. Do I have a TCU problem? Or am I missing another couple sensors?

1990 XJ Limited
4.5" Rusty's

If you can try putting it in to 1st manualy ans if that helps and still sounds like it wants to stall try cleaning out the IAC. but most likely your ganna need a scan tool.
-Keep Jeepin

Isn't the AW-4 hooked up to a brake switch? To disengauge the TC.
Try an ohm test through the TPS, ground wire to chassis and see what kind of resisitance you have. There will be a little resistance, it is built into TCU, likely less than an ohm.
I had a little resisitance in all of the connectors, between the TPS and the TCU, to include the ground at the dipstick holder. It all added up and made for some erratic shifts.
Like Hell XJ mentioned a sticky IAC and/or a sticking EGR will often stall the motor when you come to a stop.

Last edited:
Ah so a grounding issue maybe, fun fun......I think I need to chase some vac lines also.

ABS is getting replaced next week, so hopefully thats not messing with other things. Thank goodness its a free fix.

Back