• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch help!

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
help! My clutch is tripping out. It wos repleced by deeler ("clutch pckge) 3 yrs ogo. Now Hrd to get into 1st, 2nd. Reverse grinding bephor I ken get it in. Clutch very deep end sopht. Worried obout driving enyewhere. I've red the other posts. Im still lost. I'm medium ok4 w/repeirs- ken I edjust/phix myselph? Clutch very deep 'n sopht. I live in Phrisco.

Worst oph ell, my d*mn keybord is broken too. h*te computers. Luv Jeeps.

Sorry 4 the cruddy post.

- TJ

What's the fluid level in the master cylinder like? Have you bled the hydraulic system? Is the master cylinder leaking? Check the firewall behind the pedals and see if there is any leaking.

Buy a new keyboard. :)

Fred

What is your fluid level like in the tranny??? What does the fluid look like?? When is the last time you replaced it?? How many miles on the new clutch (the age doesn't really tell much....)

If you replaced your fluid in the tranny, what did you use?? Also it is very likely that the dealer used the wrong fluid for the tranny in the first place, so it might be time for you to go spend some $$ and put AX15 tranny fluid (available from the dealer at about $15 a quart.... it's a GL3 version of the 75w90 gear oil)..... Btw, do a search on the AX15 in this forum for more info about the gear oil controversy :D

Agree with the above. Change tranny lube, and try bleeding the clutch. Be sure to use Mopar clutch fluid, do not use brake fluid. (I don't know why there's a difference, but there is a difference.)

One more Q- I red EVERY previous post on trnsmssn oil (5spd) end STILL conphused! Mopr GL5 or GL3 phor pre-1995?
Clutch resevoir phul (dot3), no signs ov leeks by MC or Slve. Cyl.

Sorry- no Jeep(now undrivble) to go get keybord, still getting inpho to phix Truck. Grrrrr...

Last edited:
DOT-3 brake fluid will function, for awhile, but it is NOT the rcommended fluid. You screwed up ... you believed something you saw in Chilton's :)

Did you bleed the clutch system? The symptoms you describe sound like there is some air trapped in the system, and I know for a fact that getting all the air out of the system is difficult.

You can buy clutch fluid at Auto Zone. Get a couple of cans and bleed the system, then let us know if that helps.

Thnks Eegle. But Whet obout trnny phlooid? (See my obove post) Deeler put new clutch + 80/90 in trnny 2 1/2 yeers ogo, w/ 3 yr wrrnty. Thoughts?

p.s. - Seys DOT 3 on top oph clutch MC lid...?

- TJ

Last edited:
truckeejeeper said:
Thnks Eegle. But Whet obout trnny phlooid? (See my obove post) Deeler put new clutch + 80/90 in trnny 2 1/2 yeers ogo, w/ 3 yr wrrnty. Thoughts?

p.s. - Seys DOT 3 on top oph clutch MC lid...?

- TJ
if you have 1/2 year left on warranty, why dont you take it back to the dealer?

Hydro clutch system not under wrrnty. I will go to deeler to get phlooids. (Mopr GL-3 4 trnnyy?) Deeler (& other jeep shops I spoke with here) will only use DOT-3 in hydro clutch & 80/90, 75/90 or Otto Trnny Phlooid in trnny. I M Lost. I believe Eegle but the Jeep shops here dont buy it. I will try to do myselph I guess but dont see how I cen geht wrench to open & close bleeder screw, very little spce. MC in wy. tips? HELP!

- TJ

Last edited:
1988 Jeep Comanche Owners Manual, page 179, "Recommended Fluids, Lubricants and Genuine Parts":

4. Hydraulic Clutch Reservoir Use Only AMC/Jeep/Renault brake and hydraulic clutch fluid, P/N 8982 220 215 (Canada 2757), or equivalent meeting AMC standard AM 4101.

The part number for brake fluid is the same, so it is (was) a dual-purpose fluid. However, the equvalent non-factory brake fluid is DOT-3, SAE J1703. These generic brake fluids are NOT listed as acceptable alternates for the clutch.

If you have the owners manual for yours, check what it says in the fluids and lubricants table at the back.

Foiund a '91 Owners Manual:

Hydraulic Clutch Reservoir - Use only Mopar brake and hydraulic clutch fluid, or equivalent meeting standard F.V.M.S.S. 116 and DOT 4, P/N 454 9625

Brakes:
Mopar brake fluid or equivalent marked FMVSS No. 116, DOT-3 and SAE J1703. Caution: Use only recommended brake fluids.

Eagle - you da man. thanks. should I be worried about the 80/90 tranny lube the dealer put in 2 yrs ago? Its not the synchro-eating stuph is it? Cause I plan on leaving it in...?

Back again...Bled clutch (DOT-4) and all gears were OK again (reverse still a little tough.) Clutch not deep but still mushy. 3 days later and main problem is coming back (clutch barely disengaging.) I didn't bleed much...2 clutch pumps...redo? Maybe M/C or slave broken somehow? I don't see any leaks/liquid. One shop told me clutch pressure plate bent bad - $650 repair. Am I hurting tranny/clutch by driving it (I assume yes) Must get to work 'til I can wrench again on weekend... - TJ

truckeejeeper said:
One more Q- I red EVERY previous post on trnsmssn oil (5spd) end STILL conphused! Mopr GL5 or GL3 phor pre-1995?
Clutch resevoir phul (dot3), no signs ov leeks by MC or Slve. Cyl.

Sorry- no Jeep(now undrivble) to go get keybord, still getting inpho to phix Truck. Grrrrr...

GL3 - the manuals are wrong!

GL5 - eats the brass parts.

truckeejeeper said:
Back again...Bled clutch (DOT-4) and all gears were OK again (reverse still a little tough.) Clutch not deep but still mushy. 3 days later and main problem is coming back (clutch barely disengaging.) I didn't bleed much...2 clutch pumps...redo? Maybe M/C or slave broken somehow? I don't see any leaks/liquid. One shop told me clutch pressure plate bent bad - $650 repair. Am I hurting tranny/clutch by driving it (I assume yes) Must get to work 'til I can wrench again on weekend... - TJ

Avoid that shop - even if you have a bad pressure plate that won't change when you bleed the master/slave.

Hydraulics just wear out + these aren't designed well given how long other hydro clutch mc/slave systems last.

Back