• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 into an early XJ (85)

GA90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search but didn't hit on this subject.
The issue is my 90 XJ with the 4.0 and AW4 has been rolled. A while back I found an 85 with the 2.8 that is blown.
My task at hand is finding the pitfalls in swaping the 4.0 and AW4 into the 85. I know I will need to change out the core support and electrical.
Are there an bigger issues I need to address before starting?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

I have heard the firewalls are different. Since the engine offerings were a 4 cylinder and a V-6 the recess didn't need to be near as deep as what the inline 6 required.

Not just the fire wall, also the front cross member is different. It's supposed to be a lot of work to shoe-horn the 4.0 in the old engine bay, but I've never seen a conversion, and don't know how hard it really is.

Might be easier to find a later model 3.4 to swap in place of the 2.8, then convert to the late engine bay config.

Few have tried it because it's just not feasible. It's difficult to do because the sheetmetal is different, and 87+ XJ's with 4.0's are so cheap it's just not worth the hassle.

x2 on the 87+ I was in the same situation with my 96. I found an 87 that was being parted out. After selling the extra 30 that came with the new body, it was only $80!

Start hunting!

Thanks for the feed back.
After doing some rough measurements you confirmed what I came up with.

Thanks again!!

Sorry 'bout that. Still, if you're up for a swap, and the 2.8 is cheap enough, there are a lot of V-6 and V-8 engines that drop right in there.

Back