• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 Turbo Diesel XJ Gearing?

jfiscus

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1986 Cherokee XJ that's got a 2.1L Turbo Diesel motor. I was told it would have great gearing in the axles, but noone is sure on what it'd have. Does anyone have information on what was put in these US diesel XJs?

Also, does anyone have any usefull links for turbo diesel XJs?
This thing is a nightmare to me to work on (I've never done diesel work before).

Clicky HERE and download the parts manual.

It's not everything you will need, but will be a good start. :thumbup:

jfiscus said:
I have a 1986 Cherokee XJ that's got a 2.1L Turbo Diesel motor. I was told it would have great gearing in the axles, but noone is sure on what it'd have. Does anyone have information on what was put in these US diesel XJs?

Also, does anyone have any usefull links for turbo diesel XJs?
This thing is a nightmare to me to work on (I've never done diesel work before).

Try Al Savage and Philip at:

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/

They have forgoten more about diesels than most of us know combined. Their web site is about Nissan diesels, but they should be able to give you some help. Have you figured out what brand engine the diesel was?

Ecomike said:
Have you figured out what brand engine the diesel was?

Its a Renault diesel engine (all those Frenchmen can't be wrong...right).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douvrin_engine

You could look for the tags and try to find some identifying tags on the axle or you may just have to jack the rear end up and spin the driveshaft while counting wheel rotations to determine the gear ratio.

I'm thinking it would be lower than a 3.73... The 2.5's had a 4.56 I believe...

Definately something to check out, but I've never laid eyes on a diesel xj.

ponyracer1 said:
I run a front axle out of a diesel, in england there 3.73's.

Yes, but that was on the later VM Motori 2.5TD, not the Renault 2.1TD that the US market got a few years earlier.

nekocopter said:
I'm thinking it would be lower than a 3.73... The 2.5's had a 4.56 I believe...

Possibly, but the 2.5 VM TD and 2.1 Renault TD were apples and oranges.

Definately something to check out, but I've never laid eyes on a diesel xj.

The first XJ I ever drove was a 2.5TD, but I rather doubt it had 4.56s. Having said that, I'm not discounting the possibility - just that it felt more like a manually-geared 4.0 with 3.07s.

Last edited:
I had 2.1TD also, it was '87 and had 4.10 gears. I've pulled these axles and put them under my current 4.0!

(that was great deal for gears, easy swap, but now I have more problems with busted bearings and seals in those old and tired axles.. have to change them soon)

I have 2 diesel XJs. One is an 85 that I have been working on and the other is an 86 and is a parts vehicle. Both vehicles have 3.54 axle ratios (probably standard issue). The front is the Dana axle and the rear is the AMC axle; again both vehicles.

DieselPioneer said:
I have 2 diesel XJs. One is an 85 that I have been working on and the other is an 86 and is a parts vehicle. Both vehicles have 3.54 axle ratios (probably standard issue). The front is the Dana axle and the rear is the AMC axle; again both vehicles.
So the rear axle is not a Dana 35 or a 44? What is it then a AMC 20?

1985xjlaredo said:
So the rear axle is not a Dana 35 or a 44? What is it then a AMC 20?
that's possible, there was one year, 86, that the HD axle in the MJ was an AMC20.

back from the grave.

there is NO AMC 35 rear...it's a dana POS. the AMC20 was a 1 year wonder in the MJ only...xj didn't get a heavy duty axle until 1987, and that lasted until early 1989...it was the dana 44. the MJ had a HD axle option available from production in 86 through early 1989, with 87 becoming the dana 44 option.

I've got a 1986 comanche 2.1 renault turbo diesel with AMC20 rear axle, 4.10 gears. it regularly got 30mpg +++ and is 4wd. now, it gets roughly (I mean roughly) 25 mpg as it's got a crack in the number two precup on the head. it also doesn't warm up too quick. lucky me, found a brand new renault TD never installed for $75. yay cheap. got some weather in it so I'm honing/rebuilding....and need to order the gaskets and such. that, rebuild kit in the ax5, new turbo bearings, and a complete body restore are in order. currently it's my dad's DD but soon enough he'll need to replace it...it's slowly dying a useful 235,000 mile death.

Look at your factory parts manual. Go to the rear axle section and it shows that there is a Dana 35 and a AMC 35 for the XJ. It gives a small diagram showing that you can distinguish the two by whether there are bosses (for rigidity) on the differential cover at the bolt ring. Both of my vehicles have axles which have the bosses, which according the the parts manual, are AMC axles. I don't know what other differences there may be but I suspect not a lot, but again, I don't know.

Its the same damn axle. "bosses" or not. its just a matter of who's name is stamped on it.

if you go to randy's ring and pinion website, they refer to it exclusively as the AMC 35 - they dont even advertise parts for a Dana35. its the same shitty, weak ass axle.

Back