• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inner seal for front axle: One side only?

jlex

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '98 Cherokee w/ the Dana 30 front axle. The inner seal on the driver's side needs replaced. I've looked at the various how-to articles, but they all seem to assume you're replacing the seals on both sides & they show where the axles on both sides of the tube have been pulled.
My question is: can I replace the seal on just the driver's side alone without removing the axle on the passenger's side also?
I suppose the seal can be removed by just pounding it into the differential, but can the new one be set properly without having something that has to extend the full length of the axle? The driver's side tube is so short, you'd think you could practically reach into the pumpkin to place the new seal. I need to hear from someone who has replaced just the driver's side seal. Thanks.
jlex.

jlex said:
I have a '98 Cherokee w/ the Dana 30 front axle. The inner seal on the driver's side needs replaced. I've looked at the various how-to articles, but they all seem to assume you're replacing the seals on both sides & they show where the axles on both sides of the tube have been pulled.
My question is: can I replace the seal on just the driver's side alone without removing the axle on the passenger's side also?
I suppose the seal can be removed by just pounding it into the differential, but can the new one be set properly without having something that has to extend the full length of the axle? The driver's side tube is so short, you'd think you could practically reach into the pumpkin to place the new seal. I need to hear from someone who has replaced just the driver's side seal. Thanks.
jlex.
Both axles must be pulled because the differential needs to be removed, so get two new seals and replace both while your in there.

Back