NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:02
yikes yikes is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 184
Tow strap or recovery strap ?

OK - this is it. I have one of these straps and it don't stretch much ------------ if at all. Anyone else have one that can share an opinion.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...eep-parts=true

Could it be because I amhooking uo to Jeeps and not a 30,000 lb truck ?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:03
Phil's Avatar
Phil Phil is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,441
Re: Tow strap or recovery strap ?

I don't think you want to actually be able to see it stretch...that'd be a LOT of force.

That is a fine strap to use.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:06
ChiXJeff's Avatar
ChiXJeff ChiXJeff is offline
Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SE MN
Posts: 8,819
Re: Tow strap or recovery strap ?

It'll work fine for an XJ.

I sold one of those exact straps to Dad a few years back, after using it to pull a fully loaded flatbed hauling cherries (around 30k lbs.) up a greasy, muddy slope with his orchard tractor. He used it a couple of years ago to yank a logging truck out of a soft spot.

After using chains his entire life, he's gotten spoiled with that strap.
__________________
ChiXJeff
Lifetime member

"Jeeps are Cherokees. All other models are wannabes." Deb. K.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:08
Begster's Avatar
Begster Begster is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cape Cod/Boston, Mass
Posts: 10,497
Re: Tow strap or recovery strap ?

You're confusing a recovery strap/tow strap with a snatch strap. The snatch strap is the elastic strap that stretches, then uses the absorbed energy to extract a stuck vehicle.

Most people use the strap you have, as a lot of situations you don't want a strap to stretch.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:10
WrenchMonkey's Avatar
WrenchMonkey WrenchMonkey is offline
NAXJA Member #771
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: East of Cincinnati
Posts: 3,068
Re: Tow strap or recovery strap ?



$80 for a strap?

Robert
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:11
yikes yikes is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 184
Re: Tow strap or recovery strap ?

Sorry- I didn't explain it very well.

I don't even 'feel' it stretch. When the slack is taken up - it feels more like chian than strap - if that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:12
Begster's Avatar
Begster Begster is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cape Cod/Boston, Mass
Posts: 10,497
Re: Tow strap or recovery strap ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes View Post
Sorry- I didn't explain it very well.

I don't even 'feel' it stretch. When the slack is taken up - it feels more like chian than strap - if that helps.
Its supposed to.

Last edited by Begster; December 23rd, 2008 at 10:15.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:18
ECKSJAY's Avatar
ECKSJAY ECKSJAY is offline
Water is dirty
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Covington, WA
Posts: 13,008
Re: Tow strap or recovery strap ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begster View Post
You're confusing a recovery strap/tow strap with a snatch strap. The snatch strap is the elastic strap that stretches, then uses the absorbed energy to extract a stuck vehicle.

Most people use the strap you have, as a lot of situations you don't want a strap to stretch.
I wouldn't lump 'recovery' in with 'tow'...as those terms are commonly used opposite of each other. 'Recovery' and 'snatch' are typically the same thing.

ARB does a good job of explaining it in their gear descriptions. They even went so far as to color their straps differently now so their jobs aren't confused.

http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Tow-S...Straps/52.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:28
aussiewheeler's Avatar
aussiewheeler aussiewheeler is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: oregon
Posts: 141
Re: Tow strap or recovery strap ?

i have the 30'x2" procomp strap and I can definitely feel it stretch. even on some pretty beefy pulls it feels relatively smooth. Ive been very happy with it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 15:37
ceb0217 ceb0217 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: oregon,corvallis
Posts: 786
Re: Tow strap or recovery strap ?

the 30,000 lb strap is probly to heavy of a strap I use a 20,000 with my landcruser to pull out fullsize crewcab trucks. I did buy a 30,000 lb strap and cant hardly streach it with my crewcab diesel
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 15:49
Begster's Avatar
Begster Begster is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cape Cod/Boston, Mass
Posts: 10,497
Re: Tow strap or recovery strap ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECKSJAY View Post
ARB does a good job of explaining it in their gear descriptions. They even went so far as to color their straps differently now so their jobs aren't confused.

http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Tow-S...Straps/52.aspx
Drooling at that page, ARB's stuff is sweet, the colors are awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 15:56
ECKSJAY's Avatar
ECKSJAY ECKSJAY is offline
Water is dirty
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Covington, WA
Posts: 13,008
Re: Tow strap or recovery strap ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begster View Post
Drooling at that page, ARB's stuff is sweet, the colors are awesome.
I got sneak peek at them when I was at the US headquarters a couple years ago. That new line made it a LOT easier to distinguish than the old 'blue' stuff they had.

I borrowed one of their exhaust jacks a couple years back for a snow run. That thing was cool as hell.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 16:12
Begster's Avatar
Begster Begster is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cape Cod/Boston, Mass
Posts: 10,497
Re: Tow strap or recovery strap ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECKSJAY View Post
I got sneak peek at them when I was at the US headquarters a couple years ago. That new line made it a LOT easier to distinguish than the old 'blue' stuff they had.

I borrowed one of their exhaust jacks a couple years back for a snow run. That thing was cool as hell.
I love those exhaust jacks, I've wanted one of those for a while.

It would have been very useful for the beach I used to work at, idiots would get stuck left and right, and then would dig the most ridiculous holes, most of the time trying to dig under their tires. Of course they wouldn't fill the holes in once they were done either.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 17:06
ECKSJAY's Avatar
ECKSJAY ECKSJAY is offline
Water is dirty
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Covington, WA
Posts: 13,008
Re: Tow strap or recovery strap ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begster View Post
I love those exhaust jacks, I've wanted one of those for a while.

It would have been very useful for the beach I used to work at, idiots would get stuck left and right, and then would dig the most ridiculous holes, most of the time trying to dig under their tires. Of course they wouldn't fill the holes in once they were done either.
We used it to help separate a tiny SUV from a 4-sled snowmobile trailer that had jack-knifed in the road, blocking it. Put it under the tongue and it pushed it right up. Pretty handy thing.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recovery strap question MT Mike Non-Tech / Off Topic 7 October 8th, 2008 06:59
Recovery Strap Locally Monkey55 SoCal Chapter 16 March 14th, 2008 23:36
NEW never used Pro Comp 3"x30" Recovery Strap - 30,000lb cyberbackpacker For Sale: Private Party Only. XJ ITEMS ONLY 1 May 17th, 2007 17:40
vehicle recovery tow strap 4" x 30' 20k lbs. RiPPiNiTuP7 For Sale: Private Party Only. XJ ITEMS ONLY 3 April 11th, 2007 14:35
tow/recovery points to hook your strap to clayman OEM Tech Discussion 9 March 2nd, 2005 14:50


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014