• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop Bracket Install

btfury

NAXJA Forum User
I recently got some drop brackets and have them sitting in the garage ready to install. The braces aren't here yet, but are on the way.

I was told that I could add the braces any time... So I assume that I'll be fine just driving around (highway included) with just the DBs for a while, so long as I don't wheel... right?

I bet you could wheel it some. I doubt re would put a product out that would be unsafe by itself... This assuming that it is an re set and not a trail master or incomplete rc kit...

Nothings wrong with the RC kit, it just hasn't been on the market as long as RE's DP's have been.

You will have to loosen every bolt of every bracket to add the braces later. They will not just line up with any of the bolts holding the brackets and arms on if they are tightened.

Gojeep said:
You will have to loosen every bolt of every bracket to add the braces later. They will not just line up with any of the bolts holding the brackets and arms on if they are tightened.

Right. I'm just making sure that the Jeep will be safe to drive for a few days without the braces. I have no problem loosening them and whatnot..

emr1101 said:
Oh okay, i thought that he was suggesting it was incomplete. I looked on RC website and it doesn't appear to be on there...

I was under the imression that the rc kit came with a brace so if he did not have one it would have been incomplete. I hear nothing wrong with the rc kit and I would run it.

so supposedly the RC kit comes with braces unless they bung up the order? Just trying to get it straight...

play nice, now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I would have waited had I known that adding the braces later was a pain in the ass... but I already started on the brackets and need to drive the Jeep tomorrow, so I guess I'll be kicking myself later for not doing it all at once.

My main concern is that my control arms won't bust loose of my Jeep tomorrow when I'm on the highway

For the record I just spoke to RE, and they said I would be fine driving on the street, and even for light wheeling.

slcpunk74 said:
I was under the imression that the rc kit came with a brace so if he did not have one it would have been incomplete. I hear nothing wrong with the rc kit and I would run it.

The RC kit does come with braces but he has the more expensive RE kit that does not.

Be fine driving it without braces but you just have the pain of loosing everything to install them later on.

Thanks. Just got the braces in today, but no hardware (bought them used). Does anyone know what bolts, washers and nuts I need to install the braces? Thanks

btfury said:
Thanks. Just got the braces in today, but no hardware (bought them used). Does anyone know what bolts, washers and nuts I need to install the braces? Thanks

this just going off mem. but i think the 4 brace bolts are 3/8, and you should already have the bolts for the ca's just buy one extra for each side uppers and lowers to compentsate for the relo, and you should already have the crossmember bolts as well.

Do it all at once, use grade 8 bolts and weld it up when your done. unless you plan on putting on stiffeners at some point, then wait to weld the drops to your rails.

There is only really one pair of bolts to go in the holes that the old alignment shoe fitted into. You should have had bolts in there anyway already. The alignment shoe holds the bottom half and the cross member bolts hold the other end of the brace.

Back