• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual wire battery cables

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone tried to make a battery cable with (2) 2 or 4 ga wires of off it? Either using the clamp type or by taking a pre-made one and soldering a second wire to it? The clamps are made of lead, so solder should melt right in, right?

At the least, I'd like to run a ground right from the battery to the frame AND the block at the same time, rather than chain them together on studs. I'd probably want to do that to take +12 to my inside tie point too. Avoid all the future corrosion issues with bolts and nuts...

Sound like soldering is a good thing for lead clamps?

I made my own cables. The reason was that I have a receiver mount winch. I used 375 amp quick connects for the winch and have a connection both on the front and the back. I ran 2 guage welding wire. I crimped the lugs at the ends and soldered both the lugs and battery connections. What worked the best for soldering them was a small butane torch, like you refill with lighter butane. It allowed for pinpoint control of the heat. I can post some pix if anybody is interested.

Oh, by the way. I really noticed a difference in how fast the starter cranks. I'm and electrical engineer and I didn't expect to see that much difference. It was a pleasant surprise.

Welding cable is what I have for it. Pics would be good. I'm an EE too (first career), and am amazed at the amount of "redesign" this XJ could use, but also very happy it's not like today's models and it CAN be reworked without much trouble.

skipc said:
At the least, I'd like to run a ground right from the battery to the frame AND the block at the same time, rather than chain them together on studs. I'd probably want to do that to take +12 to my inside tie point too. Avoid all the future corrosion issues with bolts and nuts...

This isn't exactly related to what you're trying to accomplish, but it is somewhat related...

I'm running a 4-gauge Warn quick-disconnect directly from both terminals on my battery (inline 80A fuses on both sides) back into the cabin via the driver's side firewall grommet. A second complimentary QD cable screws down to a 2000W inverter used to power all manner of equipment.

I'm just using the standard crimp-on lugs that came with the QD to connect to the battery. I'm guessing that your main concern is longevity of the terminals where they attach to the cable; I can safely say that after 5000 miles with this in place the lugs are as solid as the day I screwed them down to the terminals.

Just as an aside: the reason I ended up going with the Warn cables was twofold. Firstly, when I started sourcing 2- and 4-gauge cabling, the total cost per foot was actually more than the preassembled QD cable because I was buying such short lengths - and I hadn't even found the QD plugs yet. Secondly, the insulation Warn used handles high under-hood temperatures well - a lot of the 4ga. stuff I looked at was only rated to around 200-225degF, and since my engine usually runs around 210 it seemed a bit too close for comfort. Not that I'm saying to not make your own cables by any means, but it may be something to consider.

old_man said:
I made my own cables. The reason was that I have a receiver mount winch. I used 375 amp quick connects for the winch and have a connection both on the front and the back. I ran 2 guage welding wire. I crimped the lugs at the ends and soldered both the lugs and battery connections. I can post some pix if anybody is interested.

I'm up for it Old Man !! BTW ya think NAPA has got that kinda cable???

Just another friendly STALKER !! :wave1:

I just looked at the welding cable I had (originally for another purpose, not welding either) and it's Carol Super Vu-Tron 4AWG rated -50C to 90C.

I would suspect that welding cable is insulation isn't rated for really high temps in general. What cable are you using? Do you think the 90C rating is too close?

skipc said:
I would suspect that welding cable is insulation isn't rated for really high temps in general.

I used 2/0 welding cable in my XJ, it's rated at 125c, which is way more than enough. In my old XJ, I used battery cable instead of welding cable, and I much prefer the welding cable. It is MUCH more flexible (which is a big deal with something as thick as 2/0) and the insulation is considerably thicker. (it's made to be dragged across concrete floors when you're welding with it)

ZmOz said:
Yes, the first ones you linked to are too short. You'd need the 5' set there, and that's $100. :shocked:

This is exactly why I went with the Warn quick-disconnects. I got both cables for $50 apiece from (I know, I know) 4 Wheel Parts. It worked out about $80 cheaper doing it this way than rolling my own.

old_man said:
I made my own cables. The reason was that I have a receiver mount winch. I used 375 amp quick connects for the winch and have a connection both on the front and the back. I ran 2 guage welding wire. I crimped the lugs at the ends and soldered both the lugs and battery connections. What worked the best for soldering them was a small butane torch, like you refill with lighter butane. It allowed for pinpoint control of the heat. I can post some pix if anybody is interested.

Oh, by the way. I really noticed a difference in how fast the starter cranks. I'm and electrical engineer and I didn't expect to see that much difference. It was a pleasant surprise.

Where Da Pictures ??? come one old man... or are you getting FORGETFUL ?

Unlike some people, I can read. :wave1: I said I would post them if anyone asked. Nobody asked. I can get the pix tonight.

old_man said:
Unlike some people, I can read. :wave1: I said I would post them if anyone asked. Nobody asked. I can get the pix tonight.

SURE YOU CAN... Thats ok. I WOULD like the pictures of your handy work SIR ! :patriot:

your friendly neighborhood STALKER! ;)

old_man said:

still waiting on those cable pic's old man...go get the film developed...

your friendly neighborhood STALKER! :wave1:

skipc said:
Has anyone tried to make a battery cable with (2) 2 or 4 ga wires of off it? Either using the clamp type or by taking a pre-made one and soldering a second wire to it? The clamps are made of lead, so solder should melt right in, right?

For all that effort, would it make any sense to get a new battery that has both top posts and side posts? That's what I did and ran some extra power requirements, including a new ground, from the side posts using standard battery cables.

Or am I missing something?

Back