• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tube VS Pipe

Heep

NAXJA Forum User
Im new to the metal stuff so dont flame my azz too bad. I understand the size differences and all but I am wondering about strength. I can get tons of free steel pipe but not tube. I want to make my own long arms 1 1/2" pipe and my own cage out of 1" or 1 1/4" pipe. Will this be good? or What? I dont want to fork over the dough for tube if I dont really have too. It seems VERY stout and has a thick wall, prob. 3/16" or so

Pipe is made to withstand pressure from within. Gas, water, & hyd. pressures to name a few. Pressure is normally constant & is seldom abrupt. Pipe is hard yet brittle to handle these forces. A hard impact can & will crack or break pipe. Tube is much softer & ductile. Tube will not work well in a pressure application, but will distort or dent in a hard impact rather than break. It also helps absorb the impact. Both tube & pipe have there uses, but pipe belongs used with fluids & tube belongs on your rig.

Matt

a guy on the pirate board used pipe for LAs and they bent first trip out. he used 2 in that was almost 1/4 wall if I remember correctly. I used 2 in 1/4 wall steel tube and wouldn't use anything less.

as for the cage, most people use a 1 3/4 tube and in my xj I will use 1 1/2, once again I wouldn/t use anything smaller than that. If I had free pipe I might be tempted to use it, but the tube is not really that expensive.

Back