• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is pb blaster the best?

For the money there's nothing readily available that's better. While there are undoubtedly other formulations that work as well, they either aren't nationally available or they aren't as cheap. It's good stuff...

bzdel2441 said:
So is pb blaster the best or is there any thing that is better?

PB Blaster is the best thing I've found to date. It actually works, whereas with a lot of products out there . . . :dunno:

I have found something that works great. It isn't cheap and it is difficult to find at times but it works on bolts, as cutting oil, keeping the end of my track bar quiet, etc. It is called Ballistol. It is a gun oil/cleaner. I couldn't believe how well it works on tapping threads and rusted bolts and stuff. I have used it after my dad told me about how well it works on stuck bolts. For people who shoot muzzleloaders it is incredible. You don't have to bust your ass cleaning your barrel with soap and water. Just run some patches with Ballistol on them down it and you are done when the patch comes out clean. Don't have to oil it afterwards or anything. The pain is that it is about $12-14 per quart. It does come in a spray and liquid. You can get it thorugh Cabela's.

Like said above there are other things but PB is universally available and seems to work on most stuff. The people who make seafoam have a new penetrating spray that my friend has started using but then he has about 5 different brands that I have never heard of before. I asked him which one is best and he said 'depends on what you are using it for'. Some here have posted here a while ago about some new stuff that is supposed to have much smaller particles that penetrate rust better but I forgot the name and have not seen any 'miracle brands' at the parts stores.

When I was in the Air Force, we had a substance called Break Free.

Was perfect for cutting oil because it was viscous. It was awsome as a penetrant and as a lubricant it was even better because it had THICK teflon in it. You had to shake it up before you used it so you wouldn't suck all the teflon off the bottom of the bottle.

Since I've been out, I haven't been able to find it.

However as a substitute, PB comes a near second.

pb blaster is awesome. As previously stated, you'll hear the war stories of what someone's grandpa used in double ya double ya 2, other than that, use pb blaster.

Break free was CLP (cleaner, lubricant, preservative) we use it for everything!

I remember the teflon settling to the bottom of the container...we had a few choicenames for it.

They took the teflon out of it years ago, although there may still be some stocks left around.

I've had great luck with PB blaster. Hasn't failed me yet.

I usually swipe a can of 'Free' from my building engineers, works just like the 'laster does.

For weapons/tool lube I use Militec-1. It's actually a metal conditioner that fills in pores in metal...thus not requiring a 'wet' lube. I usually run such a thin layer of the stuff it doesn't come off on your finger when you touch it. Doesn't attract dirt or run, either...nor does it 'evaporate' like CLP. Doesn't stink like CLP, kinda smells like new vinyl. Only thing is that it's not a solvent...but the good part is that the fouling doesn't stick to the metal either. When I get done shooting I usually just wipe the outer surfaces down with a rag, reapply some, and clean the barrel with some Remington bore cleaner. ;)

GI-John said:
Break free was CLP (cleaner, lubricant, preservative) we use it for everything!
I hate that crap - at least we couldn't/wouldn't use it for the 20mm turrets. Monthly cleanings on the M-16 using CLP are necessitated because of the nature of that stuff. You can clean the rifle until there are no carbon traces anywhere, but once you lube it up with CLP you're going to grow more carbon/dirt out of the grain of the metal.

I was fortunate enough to shoot in the Western Division Rifle/Pistol Matches twice and had an old MSgt on the team who pulled us out in the parking lot at the end of each shooting day to run a couple patches of Hoppe's #9 through the bore. A few Q-Tips dipped in #9 and we were good to go, without all the scrubbing and crap that CLP caused.

We had 5 gallon cans of CLP for the M109's. Did a nice job on the bores and it's supposed to get the carbon out the way it does. It leeches the stuff out by displacing it upwards. I liked it on the 60 and M2's, specially when they got hot, no slow down. I still use #9 though on my own stuff, grew up with it's smell.

Beezil said:
Go KROIL or go home.
Where does one get this? I've got a bleader screw that is resistant and not wanting to let PB break it free!

Kroil is good but in all reality a 75/25 mix of diesel fuel and ATF will work better then anythign you can buy off a shelf. Most of the really good penetrants (Kroil or the First Ayde one) smell ike diesel because that is their primary ingrediant!

Ghost said:
Where does one get this? I've got a bleader screw that is resistant and not wanting to let PB break it free!

If I had something as worthless as a bleeder screw not wanting to come out, I wouldn't waste my valuable time trying finesse the thing out.

I'd grab a pair of vise grips and twist the piss out of it not caring what it looks like once it gets removed.

I'd go to the store and buy a four-pack of bleeders.

what are those things, like a couple bucks?

I use PB Blaster because it works, it's relatively cheap, and it's easy enough to find.

When I was a unit armorer (86-87), I used to look after a small vault full of guns: (100 M16A1, 5 M203, 25 M1911A1, 5 M2HB, 2 M-60) Breakfree CLP was the potion du jour. FWIW I cleaned my junk (and the motorpool & mess sections' M2HBs) by soaking with carb cleaner spray, then hit em with the Steam Jennie, chased the water out with WD40, then a coating of CLP back in the vault. As stated, it is near impossible to get a gun 'white-rag' clean using Breakfree, in fact the -10 manual for the M16 addresses this as not a bad thing...just the way it worked. FWIW #2, I have found it at WalMart and bought a small bottle (nostalgia?) on my own guns I use #9 solvent and lube oil.

PB Blaster does a great job, and if something defies me after using it a few times, IMHO it's usually time for the hot wrench.

Beezil said:
If I had something as worthless as a bleeder screw not wanting to come out, I wouldn't waste my valuable time trying finesse the thing out.

I'd grab a pair of vise grips and twist the piss out of it not caring what it looks like once it gets removed.

I'd go to the store and buy a four-pack of bleeders.

what are those things, like a couple bucks?

And to think I thought you where vaugely mechanical...

The problem with bleeders is they are hollow and twist off very easily ruining the wheel cylinder or caliper unless you can extract the end of the bleeder without damaging the seal face.

notorious DUG said:
And to think I thought you where vaugely mechanical...

The problem with bleeders is they are hollow and twist off very easily ruining the wheel cylinder or caliper unless you can extract the end of the bleeder without damaging the seal face.
Good thing they invented drill bits and thread taps.

Mmmmm, Thread chips in the caliper bore.

<edit> or if it's in the rear wheel cyl, just ring the bleeder off (to make yourself feel better) then go get 2 new cylinders

Back