• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Issue

The hose is new, but I will try replacing the map with a spare I have(not tested unfortunately), and maybe doing Cruiser's map upgrade by tapping the TB today.

What is this MAP upgrade??

Well, I've done the fix, and SO FAR, it seems like a success. My throttle delay is gone, as well as my weird idle issue, bringing up an OLD weird idle issue, but I can live with that one. Here's some quick pics:

First, I disconnected the air box hose, and removed the throttle body, which were a T45 and a T30 I believe.

h6T0pn8l.jpg

First the top hose

kGolUCSl.jpg

Then the bottom

The throttle body comes off after this, just remember to disconnect the two sensors, and pry off the throttle cable, a flathead works great for this, and to install just a simple set of vice grips works fine.
After that, I mounted the TB in the vise, gently as to not scratch it, and slowly tapped the MAP sensor hole, i went about 2 turns at a time until it was pretty close to seating. For reference, I used a NPT 1/8-27 tap.

5BK7qQUl.jpg

Then, since I had no Permatex #2 like Cruiser suggested, I just used copper gasket maker, should be OK I suppose, would probably seal on its own anyways. Then I threaded it in and tightened it down.

vapa7Vkl.jpg

Took the time to clean the throttle body again, as well as the intake surface it mounts to. Installation was the reverse, and from what I read, torque is about 15 ft lbs, so I just snugged them up, my torque wrench does not read accurately that low.

The only issues I ran into were I believe the elbows were slightly too small, and difficult to fit on, but they're definitely not going to leak air, on the upside.

7vxFb14l.jpg

Fully installed

u31hWHZl.jpg

Old cable

I hope this helps somebody else, and thank you again cruiser!

Good work. FYI, though in a perfect world a NPT isn't supposed to require sealant, it's never a bad idea to use some. I just use RTV, the stuff you used is even better. Teflon tape can work but it's always a crapshoot in my experience.

Back