• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper Mount???

COSXJFAN

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of building bumpers for my XJ. I'm looking for a print or a PDF for mounting the rear bumper. I know that I can use the eight bolts that hold the stocker on, but I wanted to tie into the holes that a receiver hitch would mount to as well. If anyone knows of one, please shoot it my way. I can do it myself, but I'm getting a little lazy these days!! LOL!! Thanks guys!!

It's really much easier than you're making it sound. In order to access these holes, you have to cut a notch in your rear "crossmember" or whatever you call it. So either way your're going to have to cut it. Then all you do is slide some flat stock, box tube, whatever you're using and mark it with a sharpie. Measuring and drilling the holes is by far the easier part of building the bumper lol.

It's really much easier than you're making it sound. In order to access these holes, you have to cut a notch in your rear "crossmember" or whatever you call it. So either way your're going to have to cut it. Then all you do is slide some flat stock, box tube, whatever you're using and mark it with a sharpie. Measuring and drilling the holes is by far the easier part of building the bumper lol.
No you dont,mine bolts up just like a receiver hitch.

Bumper_0321.jpg

If you are going to do this style of mounting you need to a big gusset between the two mounting plates. This is how i did mine to start off with. After a couple of weeks the weight of the rear tire carrier made the the bumper start to flex. Remember to put the gusset opposite side of the rear shackle bolt.

bump2.png

Green triangle represents gusset.

Last edited:
the 8 bolts for the stocker is all you need unless you are putting a hitch on the bumper or plan recover from the rear bumper.

in the above photos the extra flat bar welded to the bumper going through the rails offer almost no support to the bumper.

They will however support the bumper if you are pulling with the jeep. If you have a towbar on the back already then forget about these and use that pulling/towing.

AussieDave said:
in the above photos the extra flat bar welded to the bumper going through the rails offer almost no support to the bumper.
You sure about that? Use your 3D vision.
Look @ the piece with the green triangle. Now imagine that the triangle is a piece of steel. That piece of steel is perpendicular to the flat stock/nutsert piece. Just like cutting a wedge off of one side of a piece of angle iron.

You sure about that? Use your 3D vision.
Look @ the piece with the green triangle. Now imagine that the triangle is a piece of steel. That piece of steel is perpendicular to the flat stock/nutsert piece. Just like cutting a wedge off of one side of a piece of angle iron.

You sure that green triangle drawn in Microsoft Paint is a piece of steel?

In the real version of that bumper, the flat piece of metal offers no support to the bumper, but help with a pull. Those green triangles that were added to suggest gussets aren't there in the real version of the bumper. He is talking about the real version of the bumper.

You must have had the receiver package then?
No
Bumper_0321.jpg

If you are going to do this style of mounting you need to a big gusset between the two mounting plates. This is how i did mine to start off with. After a couple of weeks the weight of the rear tire carrier made the the bumper start to flex. Remember to put the gusset opposite side of the rear shackle bolt.

bump2.png

Green triangle represents gusset.
You were thinking along the right lines,you just didnt think it through enough!Mine bolts to the bottom of the framerail(just like a receiver),but with angle iron.That goes all the thru the bumper to my shackle mounts.No "custom" modding,it could bolt to any XJ.

the 8 bolts for the stocker is all you need unless you are putting a hitch on the bumper or plan recover from the rear bumper.

They will however support the bumper if you are pulling with the jeep. If you have a towbar on the back already then forget about these and use that pulling/towing.

I'm sure I'll need to pull someone out at some point, so, yes I'll need to tie these in as well. Thanks for the input guys!!

Here is a PDF CAD file from the rear bumper that I designed for OR-Fab. It anchores to the hitch mount.

3CADCherokee83209.jpg

2CADCherokee83209.jpg

1CADCherokee83209.jpg

Strong!

Back