• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help alternator Toast ???

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
I just got home from the trail and halfway back my check gauges light comes on and the battery gauge dives. As im getting closer to home all the lights start dying gradually which i take is my battery dying to because the alternator wouldnt be charging it?
by the time i was home the headlights were almost completely out, the clock was gone, and the dash was almost out and she was sputtering as the garage door opened. LUCKY !!!!
the alternator is stock so for this reason and symptoms im under the impression that it just took the kids to the pool.:hang:
interstate battery was less than a few years old.

99 4.0 186,000 Auto

Please confirm or if there is something else i should check let me know. Its my DD and only wheels. also am i likely buying a new battery to?

Did the check engine light come on? Is the alternator output connected? Is the cable intact? I'd charge and check the battery. Iv killed mine to where it won't crank and the radio lost all the presets about 4 times now. It's almost failing a load test but it passed. Just a good, slow charge. A 2 amp trickle charger for a few days or until it doesn't take anymore and it should be good. As for the alternator issue, it is probable the alternator died. If it's the one from the factory that came on it then 186k is a long time. They are rebuild able but it's easier to get a new one. It's amazing how the ecu can run on low voltage for so long. You are lucky you made it home. Mine died from dirt eating the brushes for a few months and I had to get home off jump starts and my buddy pulling me the last mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well you could use a DMM to check the battery voltage if you can get it to start. If it's about 13.5 then it's not the alternator and it would be charging. Leave it to Chrysler to make stuff harder than normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voltage doesn't mean its charging, it takes current(amps) for that, it could still be the alt!

I have a new stock alt that I'll let go for $50. Let me know!

This is it. Sorry, remanufactured, not new. Installed it, ran fine for a week, then upgraded all to 2GA cables and alt to 130amp.

This is a 90amp stock reman. Great condition.

14859327_1237341982996661_1037478489_o.png

Napa said my alternator is still good but one guy didn't know how to test it. Can it show its good but still be bad? My battery was drained and interstate is trying to recharge it. Are there any specific fuses that would not allow the battery to charge?

The alternator in my '97 will charge, then not. That is what happens when the brushes get stuck in their holders.

After you get the battery charged, drive it to an auto parts that will hook a machine to the battery while it is still in the Jeep. The machine will test the system output.

Yea those worthless machines never put it under an actual load so there's always mixed results. You may have a code set that doesn't set the light. Depending on how old that battery is, it might be better to replace it. A lot of the time the alternator fails because of a bad battery. If you do ditch the interstate.

Napa said my alternator is still good but one guy didn't know how to test it. Can it show its good but still be bad? My battery was drained and interstate is trying to recharge it. Are there any specific fuses that would not allow the battery to charge?
If your using a Napa alternator its going to take a few to get a good one. That is most likely your problem.

If they are testing voltage output that isn't good enough, they have to test amperage output under load. Otherwise it will test good. Honestly, I would ditch the Napa alternator.

If your using a Napa alternator its going to take a few to get a good one. That is most likely your problem.

If they are testing voltage output that isn't good enough, they have to test amperage output under load. Otherwise it will test good. Honestly, I would ditch the Napa alternator.

Well the 180000 mile old factory denso is out and I threw Napas alternator in so far so good. What alternator would you have used?

Well the 180000 mile old factory denso is out and I threw Napas alternator in so far so good. What alternator would you have used?
Denso makes a good rebuild, so does Bosch. Not sure about the Ac delco ones, I am sure they are good. Also the Omix-Ada ones are good. Avoid the Ultima and Napa ones though, they have a lifetime warranty but it will honestly take a few before you get a good one. Just not quality built. I understand your stuck with it now...so that sucks. Just bring it back, get it tested by someone knowledgeable at Napa (Every Napa has at least one-two) and get another one.

Who rebuilds the ones Napa has? The new one has a back plate identical to the factory denso. Why are Napa remanufactured junk do they not charge? Also I have no local alternator repair shops and all the places I've tried asking about it seem to be confused on repairingredients one haha. Who makes a new good alternator that hasn't been remanufactured?

Last edited:
I personally have had good luck with ultima. When my alternator went out I got some worldwide brand one. Been in for almost 100k and still works. And I'd rather use ac delco over half that reman crap out there. Just don't buy the cheapest piece of crap and you'll usually be ok.

I personally have had good luck with ultima. When my alternator went out I got some worldwide brand one. Been in for almost 100k and still works. And I'd rather use ac delco over half that reman crap out there. Just don't buy the ch
cheapest piece of crap and you'll usually be ok.

i went with napa as quality seems to be a bit better than other chain stores. I never willingly put junk in my jeep. shes 180000 old and i plan on giving her much more to see!

Back