• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 MJ Totalled, the Resurrection!

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
It begins today! After finding a donor cab top and then finding a good sheet metal mechanic that was willing to take on the challenge, today is the beginning!

He is going to remove the donor cab top from its frame work and prep it to be spot welded onto my A/B pillars, which are still straight.

I'm still in need of a good, solid, rust free bed, two XJ doors(cheap or free or trade?) and a RF fender. Once the sheet metal is done then its time for paint!

Here is my thread from where my son rolled it;http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1079387

It begins today! After finding a donor cab top and then finding a good sheet metal mechanic that was willing to take on the challenge, today is the beginning!

He is going to remove the donor cab top from its frame work and prep it to be spot welded onto my A/B pillars, which are still straight.

I'm still in need of a good, solid, rust free bed, two XJ doors(cheap or free or trade?) and a RF fender. Once the sheet metal is done then its time for paint!

Here is my thread from where my son rolled it;http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1079387

im happy to see this.....local body shop did a roof swap on an xj from the pillars up back when it was worth it to fix it, it can be done and it can be done well with the right skill.

best of luck and props for not putting a good mj out to pasture

Ron(my sheet metal mechanic/body fender friend) picked up the donor top today, I picked this up and cut it off a 86 MJ in Charlottsville VA a few months ago for $80 plus a hood. He removed the top sheet metal that he will need to repair the crushed top.
Her it is before the de-skinning
0907121724.jpg

Then after removing the skin. He will use the front cross brace and the pass side "side" brace as well.

imagejpeg952.jpg

Stay tuned! The next step is cutting the crushed metal off the MJ then grafting the new metal on!

I'll sell ya the entire MJ that I have in the yard with the bed if you bring a trailer down. The whole lot. :) Please...

I wish I had the money for all of it right now but my wife would kill me if i bring home another one before we get our son's truck in running condition.

He is paying for the repairs so his money is tight. He will be swearing in with the NAVY this week so as soon as he goes in, the money will be there to finish it off.

I know how that is. That's why I'm getting rid of all this stuff. Since I got my new truck I don't need the little trucks anymore.

All this other stuff has to go.

I know how that is. That's why I'm getting rid of all this stuff. Since I got my new truck I don't need the little trucks anymore.

All this other stuff has to go.

Looks like I will be making a trip to Abbeville soon. We have family in Greenville so I will make it a combo trip. I will give you a heads up when I think I can make it.

The sheet metal is off and ready for the replacement top. I just have to remove the rear glass(carefully!) and it will be ready for my sheet metal/body fender guy to do his magic!

0916121241.jpg

0916121240.jpg

nice dude. did you get lotto lucky and the b pillars didn't get a ding?

The B pillars are perfect, the pass side A pillar has a couple of repairable dings in it but neither of the A pillars are bent at all. The roof sheet metal, front inner bracing and pass side bracing above the door is trash and will be replaced with the parts from the donor roof.

wow, you got lucky. cant wait to see how she turns out! post progress pics if you can, i'd love to see how he does it.

Back