• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions about welding on the axle tube while in the truck...

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
I have heard horror stories... everyone tells me that i need to upgrade upper control arm mounts when I build my 3 link front suspension...

what do I need to do that do this RIGHT

and what else should I do while I am at it...???

maybe build a 1/4" plate steel truss?

Depends on which upper mount you are going to use with the 3 link. The passenger side mount is weak at best, I most definately wouldn't use it as the stand alone upper mount. The drivers side is fairly stout since it is cast into the housing and I bet it probably takes about 75% of the load.

If it were me, I'd truss it and build a nice new sturdy upper mount to go with the 3 link.

As for welding it, I'd pull the axle so you can get good access to it to cut off the old mounts and clean it up. Take your time welding the new stuff on so you don't warp your housing. It took me 3 days to weld the truss on mine, weld an inch or 2 and let it cool. I had the truss and mounts all completely welded before I put it on the axle so I could make sure the bottom edge was straight.

Here is the one I just did, its out of 3/16" plate.
IMG_20110306_163500.jpg

IMG_20110318_171315.jpg

Nice, don't forget to gusset the lower area on the inner C to the tube.....where your jackstands are.

1/4 is overkill... that'll get REALLY heavy quick... might be ok for a crawler, but not jeepspeeds. many kits use 1/4 on the top, where the drivers side upper mounts

either way, if your doing truss work, it's gotta come off the truck.

ballistic makes a good truss... nice and cheap too.

ridgerunner: nice truss and bracketry, but i gotta ask, why not box the front of those upper control arm mounts? i feel like thats a major weak point...

Ya know, I never even thought about making the axle side sway bar mounts different heights on each side. That wouldn't make a difference and may make it easier to put it on my 44 with highsteer. I NEED a swaybar on the road.

My truss is made out of a piece of .25 2x6 rectangle tube.

Mine are different heights to accommodate steering linkage clearance, works fine.

Back