• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack issue, need solution

teevexj

NAXJA Forum User
So today my stock roof rack decided to take a turn for the worst...with my spare tire strapped down, the bolts decided to let go and take the inserts with them. Luckily there was a spot at the side of the road to pull over and the tire was not lost.

But what I would like to know is solutions for strengthening the stock roof rack, just get new rubber inserts and hardware and it should be ok...or?
What I was thinking of doing was to make a home built basket and use U-bolts to bolt it to the stock cross bars, and I wanna make sure it's good 'n tight and it's not going to come off while wheeling.

Any ideas?

So today my stock roof rack decided to take a turn for the worst...with my spare tire strapped down, the bolts decided to let go and take the inserts with them. Luckily there was a spot at the side of the road to pull over and the tire was not lost.

But what I would like to know is solutions for strengthening the stock roof rack, just get new rubber inserts and hardware and it should be ok...or?
What I was thinking of doing was to make a home built basket and use U-bolts to bolt it to the stock cross bars, and I wanna make sure it's good 'n tight and it's not going to come off while wheeling.

Any ideas?

How was the tire mounted? On top of the cross bars or laying on the roof with the crossbars pushed in tight providing support from front and back movement?

it was mounted on top of the cross bars on the sidewalls to cushion it, the straps were mounted cross ways in a X pattern. I read some sites that said it was a safe idea, so I hope that didn't aid in the problem.:shiver:

The factory roof rack rail mounts are not that strong....
You can either take advantage of the roofs drip rail and clamp to it as many do.... OR you can remove your roof liner inside the vehicle and insert a stainless bolt to sandwich a reinforcement plate inside the roof and bolt down the factory rails and mount whatever to the rails...
This all depends upon how much time you want to spend and how creative you are....

Would drilling through the roof and bolting the rails down work fine? As long as I put down a bead of silicone between the rail and roof it should be watertight.

Back