• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56-4.88

on 3.73 and 32s, 80mph highway is just below 3000rpm and usually anything above 70 is begging for on/off overdrive. I have the np 242 but when you all are saying you can go 30-40 in low range I can't imagine how or why you would? Your vehicle should sound like it's about to explode right?

Upon putting around in 3rd I can say 4.88s and 31s would leave a lot to be desired if I ever planned on 50mph+. How well will 4.56 or 4.88 even out with 33s?
32+3.73 just start making the trans unhappy. I would hate to rehearsal to 4.10 and just barley be happy on 33s

I think you overthinkin' this thing. First and foremost, my post is about engine RPMs. I don't let the Transmission Control Unit tell me how I should be driving. I look at the Tachometer and keep the engine in its most reasonably efficient operating mode. My old RENIX engine can cruise @ 2500 RPM all day long. It can pull hills @ 4000 RPM without hesitation. Odd thing is, it takes less throttle to pull a hill @ 4000 RPM than it takes to pull the same grade in the next higher gear.

The moral of the story is, learn the torque curve of your engine and set the speed/gearing parameters to stay in the RPM range that best suits your operating conditions.

Back