• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes - Dual Diaphragm Booster Upgrade Write-up

smcdonaldaz said:
I just scored a booster and MC from a '95 for $25. Now I need to get the lines and fittings so I can get this done this coming weekend. Do I need to buy a tube bender or can they be bent by hand? If I need one, where's a good place?

Got my booster done this weekend and WOW what a difference! I didn't go the adapter route, I bought two 20" pieces of line, cut one end off each and dumped the fittings that came on the line. I just slipped on the fittings that were on the 95 MC and my original proportioning valve and reflared the end I cut to mate with the MC. I rented the flaring tool from Autozone. I couldn't see adding additional points of leakage by adding four more fittings. Besides, I'm not sure I could have gotten the back line and adapter to fit because of the cruise control actuator is right there.

Anyway, if you have a chance, do the upgrade, it's well worth it!

You can just move the washer bottle forward and redrill the mounting holes. That's what I did.

I would have moved mine forward if I could. Mine is 1/8" from the airbox. Not near enough room to clear the booster.

OverlandXJ said:
could you swap in a later model washer bottle to the pass side?

Sure can - did it on my 91 MJ. Here's the writeup on it:

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5840

Just re-read my reply and realized I didn't answer your question. :shocked: But using the 97+ washer bottle and installing inside the drivers side fender does free up a lot of room. :cheers:

Aloha Again Gang!

I know this is an old thread but I finally got enough funds to do my brakes. I will be doing the 95/96 upgrade on my 88 XJ and wanted to make sure that its a direct fit and no spacers/washers are needed between the booster and firewall.

So far my shopping list is

Flare/bubble adapters
(2) Steel Lines (Part # BL-312) – “BRAKE LINE 3/16 x 12”
(1) Brake Adapter (Part # 327819.1) – “BRASS 3/16FTUBE 5/16TUB”
(1) Brake Adapter (Part # 327818.1) – “BRASS 3/16F TUBE ¼ TU”
(1) Brake Adapter (Part # 327857.1) – “BRASS 3/16IF TO M12-1.0”
(1) Brake Adapter (Part # 327850.1) – “BRASS 3/16IF TO M10-1.0”
(1) Brake Adapter (Part # 327841.1) – “BRASS 7/16-24 TO ¼ Tu

Booster/MC
MC - ???
booster PN 52008647
brake light switch '93 XJ PN J5352620

Front brake lines
1990 Chevrolet Truck C1500 1/2 Ton 2WD - Pickup UP
Left - UP 38620 - 25.125"
Right - UP 38621 - 25.125” or
SP8439/SP8440

Rear Brake line
1996 4x4 Dakota center rear brake line #38636

I might 86 the brake light switch and just grind the rod as described.
Besides rear cylinders and calipers up front, would it be safe to say that everything is covered as far as the booster upgrade goes?

If anyone wants to chime in on the brake lines, feel free. I'm changing them because I hate bleeding the brakes and since the system will be open, I might as well get it out of the way too.

Once again, Thank you for your help and advice in advance.

all i can say is wow I have 35 km2's and stopping was a problem but not anymore works great can almost lock them up.

Just did this myself. However, for those who have the clutch master cylinder, you must space the booster from the firewall or re-route the hydraulic line.

IMG_0368_zpsikqpbqde.jpg

Back