• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing door hinge pins on '84-'96 XJ's?

Red91Laredo

NAXJA Forum User
So I made a thread about this in the Paint & Bodywork forum, but have not really gotten an answer there. It doesn't look like many people visit that subform (I made the thread well over a month ago and it's still near the top of the page with only one reply besides my own). So I hope no one minds me reposting this here, as I could really use some help on this topic...

I think I need to replace the hinge pins on my passenger side front door. The door drops down about 1/2" when opened and you can easily grab the rear edge of the door and feel that there is a ton of play in the hinges. This is a fairly common problem with many older vehicles in my experience, and usually replacing the hinge pins is the simple solution. However, I have searched high and low and have not found replacement hinge pins for '84-'96 XJ's (mine is a '91). Can they be replaced?

I think I read somewhere (probably here on NAXJA) that they can be replaced with an appropriate size roll pin. Does anyone have any more info on that idea, like a link to writeup, or even just an affirmation that you did it and it worked? I'm mainly wondering how exactly to get the old hinge pins out and the new ones in, but any advice at all would be helpful.

Based on how much I can rock the door back and forth on the hinges, and the fact that the XJ hinges don't seem to have replaceable bushings, I wouldn't be surprised if the hinges themselves have started to wear. I'm hoping that if this is the case, it would be possible to drill them out slightly to fit a pin with a slightly larger diameter than stock. Has anyone done this?

Any other advice? I'd imagine this a pretty common issue considering the age of these Jeeps, so someone here must have tackled this problem. If nothing else, I know I could replace the entire hinge, but I'm hoping there is a cheaper solution...

Last edited:
I don't claim expert knowledge - but before you start ripping out and replacing hinge pins, just check to make sure that the door isn't sagging because the hinge itself is beginning to part company with the bodywork.

I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe on this forum) that there was a problem with the 'inner' half of the hinge coming away from the door-frame. There might even have been a factory service recall notice about it.

Hope this hasn't worried you unnecessarily, or started a false trail - but it might be worth searching for more info about this possibility.

IF it is just the hinge pins, then check out NAPA online--they carry or can get a multitude of hinge pin repair kits.

for the bushing / shim for the pin. use K&S #8132 Brass tube. It fits in the body side hinge nice and snug. the 1/4" pin slides through the brass tube nice and snug. ( not super hard like the original screen shim. No wobble or play between surfaces. $1.99 at Ace Hardware. every pin set I have seen doesn't shim all the way through like this will.

i cut the brass tube 1 1/8" long. pressed it in from the top of the body side hinge while holding a finger against the bottom of the hole, so the brass tube will stop flush with the bottom of the body side hinge. this leaves 1/8" sticking out the top. cut the brass tube in cross (+). use whatever to flatten the four pieces flush with the top of the body side flange. Thats it.

Back