• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeepers Jamboree starts today..woo hoo

rocknxj

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody else going to be at this event? If so, I'll be the guy dragging my diffs over every rock on the Rubicon.

I'll post damage pics when I get back on Sunday.

decided to buy some 33's insead of selling your ticket?

say hi to the Blue 52's for me! :gag:

XJ_ranger said:
decided to buy some 33's insead of selling your ticket?

say hi to the Blue 52's for me! :gag:

No, I decided to incur body damage and buy another XJ next year. Then I'll decide what to do with Old Blue.

NoCoastFocus said:
The rubicon is blocked off for two weeks starting this weekend I think.

Wow... well that sucks.

I figured it would be blocked only on the weekends.

Rockslut said:
I will be on the trail Friday morning. I will be in the white XJ on 36's and one tons.

Jamboree is over on Sunday morning.

I believe I saw you there. Were you the white XJ on the trailer heading for home? I only saw 5 Cherokees, including the Rubicon Express XJ.

I was the only guy stupid enough to try the Rubicon Trail on 31's and 3.5" of lift. However, I am glad to report I never had to be winched up any rocks. Old Blue made it just fine with only one slight bash to the right rear hatch area and a broken CB mount.

My AJ's Rock Sliders took all the abuse. They look more pretzel like now, but they saved me from destroying my rig.

For anyone wanting a fuel tank skid, I don't see how that will help. I rode over the most intense 17 miles of road and never even brushed my plastic tank. My muffler is a little flatter now, but I never touched my fuel tank.

rocknxj said:
For anyone wanting a fuel tank skid, I don't see how that will help. I rode over the most intense 17 miles of road and never even brushed my plastic tank. My muffler is a little flatter now, but I never touched my fuel tank.

yeah, but it only takes one good hit and your screwed...even more so if your miles in.

Glad to hear you made it out ok though! :thumbup:

rocknxj said:
For anyone wanting a fuel tank skid, I don't see how that will help.

All it takes is one wrong slip to smash in your tank and break the fule pump pick up. Not much fun fix'in that one on the trail, or getting it towed home.

Edit: what he said!

Letterman said:
All it takes is one wrong slip to smash in your tank and break the fule pump pick up. Not much fun fix'in that one on the trail, or getting it towed home.

Edit: what he said!

Yeah, I realize that and see how foolish my original comment was after I read the last two replies. I have a huge list of upgrades and am now looking for a long arm conversion to boost up my lift for a larger set of tires, which will also help prevent smacking the fuel tank.

I was trying to say that of all the crap under my Jeep that I did not hit, the fuel tank was the one thing that suffered no contact.

Here is a complete list of the crap that I hit, and hit hard enough to cause damage (in no particular order):
  • Rubicon Express LCA's (banged and scratched, but not bent)
  • Rear driveshaft (scraped and ground down by large granite boulders; will need to inspect further)
  • JKS Swaybar disconnects (beat to hell because I did not mount them in the correct position; had to tie them up after I noticed they were being damaged by the tires)
  • Stock engine skid (took several hits, no damage)
  • Stock aluminum rims (lost several wheel weights; several scratches and bangs)
  • CB antenna and mount (smashed and ripped away from vehicle, but not until embedding itself into the rear door hatch)
  • Freaking new Magnaflow muffler (smashed in 30% and making a bad wheezing sound)
  • Exaust pipe in front of muffler (pushed up, contacting unibody causing rumbling at idle)
  • Rear exhaust tip (bent beyond repair; will cut off)
  • Cross member (beat to SH*T with curling on all four corners; it is lowered via 1" TC drop)
  • Warn transfer case skid (several large scrapes but intact)
  • Front recovery hooks (took several hard smacks; bent to both sides but fixable)
  • Rear hitch and Warn recovery shackle (took several hits; limited damage)
  • Front stock bumper (nice bangs and moderate damage; end caps suffered much wear)
  • Rear stock bumper (took several hits; several bangs on eithe side of hitch; rear end caps are crap now)
  • AJ's Rock Sliders (no longer straight and pretty; scratches run entire length on both sliders; underside has several bends; bolts are loose. These saved my Jeep from certain death.)
  • Dana 30 Warrior Products front diff skid (took much abuse and looks well worn; no leaks)
  • Ruff Stuff Specialties Chry 8.25" diff cover (took at least 3 hard hits; all countersunk fasteners became loose, despite frequent tightening. Fluid leaking badly; will need to reseal and use lock tite on all hardware)
  • My off-road will (I'm ready to do it again!)
Overall report: The mighty XJ performed flawlessly and did better than expected. I am completely sold on my BFG AT's for this type of boulder hopping. :yelclap:

rocknxj said:
I believe I saw you there. Were you the white XJ on the trailer heading for home? I only saw 5 Cherokees, including the Rubicon Express XJ.

I was not on the trailer. I thought you were a few vehicles in front of me on Cadillac Hill.

Rockslut said:
I was not on the trailer. I thought you were a few vehicles in front of me on Cadillac Hill.
Oh, gotcha. I was talking to you on the slab just prior to Cad Hill. Nice rig you've got. I was wondering how you made it through the switchbacks with your setup. Probably just powered right over them, eh?

Cadillac Hill was pretty entertaining. I got hanged up on my rear diff, and the impatient rock roller rolled his eyes at my moderate XJ and said something about getting the winch. I said, "screw that" and pulled off the rock and headed up the top of Cad Hill unassisted. I'm not getting yanked if I don't have to.

Here's a photo of my kid and Old Blue at the observation point.

2666735_40_full.jpg

Last edited:
My wife drove all the way up Cadillac until my buddies rig died. Then I towed him all the way from the middle of Cadillac to the asphalt. The switchbacks were no prob, towing a dead vehicle was interesting.

I was on there too although my jeep was parked in my driveway. i was in a blue POS 87 YJ with 37's (on a d35. yeah we harassed the owner of it all weekend but it made it...barely). i was at buck island getting the d35 welded when a couple came rolling through. it was a good time and i only counted 5 XJs too.i was camped between the blue 52's and the RE guys.

heres some pics i took.

rockslut?
DSCN3462.jpg

DSCN3504.jpg

DSCN3456.jpg

DSCN3361.jpg
DSCN3379.jpg

DSCN3340.jpg

DSCN3463.jpg

DSCN3427.jpg

DSCN3490.jpg

and the carnage of an under prepared rig.
DSCN3393.jpg

DSCN3377.jpg

37's, 4.88, ARB on a D35.. no suprises here. amazingly no busted shafts but a spun centersection. oops.
DSCN3420.jpg

DSCN3433.jpg

DSCN3434.jpg

ahhhh good times...

Back