• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockable storage drawer for cargo area- pics

bknudtsen

NAXJA Forum User
While I was working on my JKS crossover shock mount today, http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=908524 I took the opportunity to mount my Tuffy Rear Storage Drawer. I got the 8" high version with 6" risers. I wanted to be able to store items underneath it, as well as have lockable storage for tools and stuff.

Here's what the main body looks like with the risers attached. The risers are stout, and the whole unit is very heavy.

IMG_1120.jpg

Here is a shot of the drawer.

IMG_1121.jpg

I started by cutting along the outside of the riser brackets, so that I could pull the carpet back and mount the unit to the metal floor.

IMG_1119.jpg

I then test fit the unit and marked the holes to be drilled. I chose to use just the front holes (nearest rear bumper) as the rear seat holds the back down, and as it turned out, it was solid with just the fronts anyway. If you want to bolt it down near the rear seat, then you will have to use self tapping screws because the unibody frame rails kick narrow in that area.

Here are the two holes I drilled using my step-up bit. Be very careful on the driver's side not to drill into the rubber fuel hose coming from the tank to the filler neck.

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

I had to put the driver's side bolt in from the bottom as the hole was right next to the unibody rail and I was unable to tighten a nut on it. I did the passenger side the same way, but used a fender washer to spread the load a little.

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

I then pushed the carpet underneath the drawer and installed the drawer.

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

Here's a shot of the rear of the unit.

IMG_1130.jpg

The seat hits the upper edge of the drawer. You could not get much tighter than this, but it just fits. I had to remove the handle on the inside of the rear hatch because it hit the passenger side riser bracket. I also had to notch the rear trim piece that holds the carpet down where it hit both riser brackets. I can't just slam the seat back and get it to latch anymore, but the latches engage with a little push.

IMG_1131.jpg

I found that the plastic ammo cans from GI Joes fit perfectly. I stuck my exhaust jack and tow strap underneath for easy access.

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

It will be nice to have a secure area to store tools and valuables. It's not theft proof, but it is a nice deterrent.

Brad

thats awesome, i think I might have to look into picking one up

Thanks for the detailed installation photos! That kicks butt over what Tuffy has on their site.

I have been considering the 13 inch high drawer without the risers... do you think the drawer will clear the tailgate striker and plastic carpet trim panel?

Also, can you open the drawer without using the key?

Handlebars said:
Thanks for the detailed installation photos! That kicks butt over what Tuffy has on their site.

I have been considering the 13 inch high drawer without the risers... do you think the drawer will clear the tailgate striker and plastic carpet trim panel?

Also, can you open the drawer without using the key?

Thanks. You'll need at least the 1 inch riser. You can leave it locked or unlocked. The key is only needed if it is locked.

lapisxj said:
Does it rattle?

Not so much as the stuff in it. The drawer itself has a tight fit. The top platform is the only piece that makes noise from time to time. I might put some Dynamat on the bottom side to deaden it a little.

Back