• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

most effecient way to clean an axle

The Blu Yak

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I have my fullwidth 9" taken apart and need to get the oil and gunk off the inside of the axle tubes. What is the most effecient way to get the inside of the axle tubes clean without dipping the entire assembly into a degreaser bath?

go to the hardware store and get a cheap mop with the rag ends that is removable, remove the mophead and put it in the diff housing and then put the handle in the axle tube and connect them in the diff and then pull it twist it through the tube, repeat until satisfied, do the same for the other side.
oh and soak the mophead in some kind of degreaser.

For a low buck guy like me, it turns into a big mess, However, when cleaning the inside of the tubes for reinstalling axle shafts and the like, I have a wire brush cup that I welded to a long rod and chuck the rod in a drill. Then I use a hose clamp on the brush to compress it enough to get it to go into the tube, release the hose clamp and start drilling. It cleans up the inside quite well although I always scrape it as best as I can first with a long piece of threaded rod with a washer bolted to the end and then suck it out with a vacuum after the wire brush treatment. Finally, I follow up with a rag soaked in brake cleaner taped on a long rod. Jeff

my question is i have a hp d30 and i am starting to tear it down, once i have it broken down do you all recomend sand blasting it or a chem dip? it is going to be a hybread 30/44 or 30/60 when i am done.

lotta folks have seen me do this...
I use my die grinder with a 1-1.5" wire cup. I feed the hose thru the housing, hook it up and pull it through. the tubes are small enough to hold the handle down and the wire wheel expands enough to do the cleaning. then I spray carb cleaner and push a rag thru on a broomstick. do that till it comes out clean.

For the tubes I used an old t-shirt soaked in brake cleaner, and used a broom handle to push it though. Don't put to much effort into it, usually a rear axle doesn't have much in it. A front on the other hand is likely filled with dirt and other debris. A long piece of threaded rod with a wire wheel works well when attached to an electic drill.

Shameless pic of my 9 inch housing:
740330_227_full.jpg

Greg

Back