• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjusting low-fuel light?

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All, I just recently installed a new fuel pump & sender on my '91 4.0. The fuel gauge works fine and seems to be accurate. Problem is the low-fuel light comes on when there's still plenty of gas. Today I filled up a couple gas cans and went driving with the fuel light on so I could figure out how many miles I could do. So far I've done 147 miles with the low-fuel light on. It still hasn't run out. I'll have to take it out again tomorrow after work and see how much further it will go. Is there any way to adjust things so the light comes on when the fuel is actually low? Thanks.

Mine still has about 2.5 gallons left when the light goes on...on and off for awhile. It had been on solidly for a few days around town, and I mean JUST locally. I filled it up yesterday and it took 16.6 gallons...and I believe it's the 17 gallon tank.

IMHO if the light comes on at 2.5 gallons, that's OK with me. I rarely let it get that low, but at least I know I can travel 40 miles or so when it first comes on.

LOW FUEL WARNING LAMP
The low fuel warning lamp will light when the fuel
level falls below approximately 4 gallons. A low fuel
warning module controls when the lamp will light.
When the module senses 66.5 ohms or less from the
fuel level sender for 10 continuous seconds, the lamp
will light. The lamp will remain on until the module
senses 63.5 ohms or more from the fuel level sender
for 20 continuous seconds

what does your gauge say for fuel left?

After having my mom bring me gas a few times 50 years ago when I was a teenager, she told me something I have never forgotten. It is just as easy to fill the top half as it is the bottom half. :anon:

LOW FUEL WARNING LAMP
The low fuel warning lamp will light when the fuel
level falls below approximately 4 gallons. A low fuel
warning module controls when the lamp will light.
When the module senses 66.5 ohms or less from the
fuel level sender for 10 continuous seconds, the lamp
will light. The lamp will remain on until the module
senses 63.5 ohms or more from the fuel level sender
for 20 continuous seconds

what does your gauge say for fuel left?

Gauge reads about 1/4 tank when the light comes on. This seems to be accurate as I've now done 150 miles with the light on.

Back