• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Binding issue

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
I already asked this question and got no response. Im going to ask once more before I start hitting the SM and making some calls in order to find my answer elsewhere. I had a binding issue that left my 98 Xj 4.0 stuck in four wheel drive and my transmission disabled :huh:. I had no gears at all. No park, no drive, no reverse. After ten mins or so of gently wiggling 4x4 lever I managed to get it unstuck with the engine running. The four wheel drive works well but I dont want this to happen again so anyone know how to fix this? :dunno:

How is the fluid level and condition? All 4 times the same size?

Shifting it like it was designed to be shifted?

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014

Everything is in fantastic shape. All fluids are good although I plan to change them soon because its good to do. I am aware of these steps and proceed as you specified

Back