• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front drive shaft worn?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
my front drive shaft has some play where the slip portion is. I know to check ujoints ( they are good) but do drive shafts like this wear out where they extend?

I guess it depends on whether it is still balanced or not? If it wobbles it will eventually oval out your pinion seal, may even affect the longevity of your joints.

The front driveshaft on my 96 is pretty sloppy, never caused any issues I'm aware of. My front pinion seal does seep a tiny bit.

The front driveshaft U jonts seem to have a more profound affect on balance in my experience.

Yes, the slip joint is subject to wear, and will wear to the point that it has excessive play that can cause drive line vibrations. The slip yoke needs to be greased regularly.

can this worn slipyoke part be fixed?

thanks for the replies guys, i do have a leaking pinion seal so i dont know if its related. ill drop the shaft and see whats up.

the tcase side has square bolts, does anyone have a recommendation on what to take them off with be it racheting wrench or socket? i dont want to strip them

The slip yoke can be replaced, or you can find a good used front driveshaft.

What are "square bolts" ?

The normal bolts are 8mm six point. Sounds like you have something non-standard under there. Picture?

The expansion joint on the front shaft can be replaced but its pointless. The entire driveshaft is balanced as an assembly so if you replace one half you will need to get the whole thing rebalanced. After you pay for the part and the balance you could have bought another one.

50/50 shot that regreasing it a couple of times will fix it. Depends how long its been dry and if its worn out now

i cant post pictures but i give it some grease and keep an eye on it.

the play isnt terrible but its enough that it wiggles some and i dont ever recall this in years past when checking u joints. Im just going to use a standard 8mm wrench and hope for the best when i drop the shaft.

Back