• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need XJ Gurus' help on AW4 in my CJ7 w/360

tdkask

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of putting an AW4 behind a 360 in my CJ7, and am having some issues.

The transmission, torque converter, and flex plate are all from different XJ's, and now I have an issue with the torque converter being almost 1/4" from flex plate when fully seated into transmission.

Are there more than one configuration? Do different torque converters have different "lengths", and the flex plates different offsets?

As a process of elimination, I can say that I believe the cranks both have the same amount of flange on back of 360 engine as it does a 4.0, because I have swapped other transmission with 360, 4.0, 4.2's without issues.

Thanks for any input of the situation. Hopefully somebody knows whether a late XJ flexplate and torque converter are same as early, etc.?

87-90 Flex plate is different from the 90 and up flex plates. So is the CPS.

The flex plate is different on the teeth on the outer rim (CPS data source teeth), not sure it is different in any other way. Was the TC pulled from an XJ or a ZJ (grand Cherokee)? The ZJ, TC's and Transmissions are different.

They are definitely both XJ's. And I see what you're saying about the tone ring part for CPS, but that's insignificant to me.

With torque converter seated fully (I think) in the transmission, flexplate bolted to crank, I have almost 1/4" between torque converter and flexplate. I doubt seriously that the torque converter should be that far out of transmission, so feel that something has to be wrong. Also, I'm not sure how well it's seating into the pilot bushing.

Last edited:
You mean the bushing that assures that torque converter stays centered? I don't get, but that doesn't change that the torque converter is free to move in and out 1/4 inch.

Yes. Exactly that.

I'm not finding any info, but feel like it has to be the length that the 360 crank extends behind the block as compared to the 4.0L.

I've built a spacer/adapter pilot bushing, and am adding a 1/4" spacer and longer bolts to the TC threaded blocks. Hopefully this will resolve the issue?

That would be pretty interesting. I have never, on any other trans, had that be the case.

General rule is to seat it fully (usually 3 "clicks") before install, which leaves the torque converter barely rubbing on flywheel. Is AW4 NOT the same?

Only way we'll know is if I or someone else checks that.

I happen to be parting out an 89 XJ 4.0 with AW4. I suppose I'll have to unbolt the converter from the flexplate sooner or later.
Want me to do it?

I have access to the block that the flexplate came from at a buddy's house. I'm going to make some comparison measurements.

Nonetheless, I've welded a 1/4" tab spacer to each of the four mounting points on the TC, gotten 1/4" longer bolts, and made a pilot bushing that extends out 1/4" to meet TC. I guess if it's wrong I'll know when it self-destructs.

Just gotta check flexplate-starter alignment.

I'm going to install tomorrow, but will be days before starting. If you feel motivated and generous and wanted to drop the inspection cover and TC bolts, I'd be grateful. At that point, if only be out a TC, and it came from a junkyard with 1-year warranty, so I can just swap it.

Done.

When the flexplate is unbolted from the converter via the 4 bolts, I can reach through the bolt holes with a curved pick and shove the converter back towards the trans an easy 1/4".

Back