• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What happened to the Mishimoto radiator thread?

Nope, I bought a couple of those thinking they were the right kind but (1) the inside mating surface is flat not 45-degree, and (2) threads are too short to engage due to the flat mating surface

You don't want a 45 degree flare. That's SAE spec. You want 37 degree, which is what JIC and AN flares use. (and judging by the description of the part, it's AN, so, 37 degrees_

That said, yes, a 45 degree flare can work in LP circuits, when used with JIC/AN fittings. So it would probably work just fine- but it is by no means *right*.

I'll find the proper fitting for you when I get a few minutes. :)

Hell, that was easy...

https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/product_p/41157-06-06.htm

This appears to be what you need for the lower port. Can you confirm? It would entirely replace the fitting in the radiator, as it has male threads on each end. You really wouldn't want to adapt an adapter, anyway- go back to hard metal if at all possible.

Will continue to look for the upper, as it's 5/8-18 male, welded in place...

EDIT: that's going to be the hard one. I can understand wanting to standardize on AN/JIC I am doing that mostly, myself. But I've found it's often a best practice (such as on my transmission) to use field-serviceable ends on the appropriate hose and fitting, into that device, and come out a foot or two with "stingers" that terminate in JIC (AN in your case) swivels.

This keeps things standardized on a given fitting type as much as possible to make field serviceability easier (by just carrying one type of hose and a few fittings) while removing the concern of the assembly loosening up due to adapter-on-adapter muchkups. Each connection is a potential failure point. The issue I was having with the transmission was a slow weep at the 1/4NPT-6JIC adaptation as I wasn't able to get them properly torqued in-situ. With the foot-long stinger arrangement I could assemble on the ground, lift and mount, and then make the fluid fittings in a place where I could apply proper torque.

Granted torquing the fittings isn't such an issue with the radiator, but I still think I'd just go with the 5/8-18 field-serviceable fitting directly into the rad, with a foot or so stinger ending in a female -6AN for both lines.

Last edited:
You don't want a 45 degree flare. That's SAE spec. You want 37 degree, which is what JIC and AN flares use. (and judging by the description of the part, it's AN, so, 37 degrees_

That said, yes, a 45 degree flare can work in LP circuits, when used with JIC/AN fittings. So it would probably work just fine- but it is by no means *right*.

I'll find the proper fitting for you when I get a few minutes. :)

Its the part that was suggested. As you have since found, the correct adapter does not seem to exist. Unfortunately the closest part doesn't work (no engagement). Adding multiple adapters in a string together will make the bung stick out, and if you use hose in between its going to present multiple opportunities for leaks. The only real option is to use the end from a piece of stock hardline and some clamps.

Last edited:
All very true, but I think all things being equal, I'd just go with the short stingers as I mentioned previously, and spend the skull-sweat (and money) elsewhere.

That said, I'm the guy that's been trying for about 3 weeks (and numerous hours at the parts store comparing specs) to find a power steering pump pulley with holes in the face (to access pump bolts) for a SBC with serpentine drive and Saginaw P-series pump... when I could probably just have spent the $60 at PSC and moved on to something else, so I get it. :)

If you know the ID, OD, groove count (belt ridges), and centerline offset, you can probably use one of the Dorman pulleys to get close. I have had to do that a couple of times. Anything that is within .00n inches is thousandths of an inch, will press no problem

Yes I found one that is really close. It's $40 and on order.
Like I said, a smart man would have just ordered the damn $60 job and been done with it. I've got hours in the research to save $30 with shipping and all. Kinda stupid!

Any updates on this. I ve been looking at this radiator and it's still not available.

They charged my card one month ago and told me it would be shipping within a few days. I reached out to them last week and was told there was more demand than expected and they sold out quickly, but that they were expecting more in today (10/16). I'm still unsure why they charged my card before they had one to send me.

Hey all,

These rads are still on pre-sale - we did have a small delay in manufacturing so we're aiming to have these ship out by the end of the month.

Jabinco - Did you pay with PayPal? If you did, we charge the card associated with the account right away, even for pre-sales. If you paid with a credit card alone, we run an authorization that essentially is just our system checking with the bank that the funds are available. No money is actually removed from your account until the product ships, though you may see a pending charge on your statement.

Sorry for the delay everybody, I'll try to let you know when the pre-sale is about to end. Thanks,

-Steve

That's what I thought, and why I'm confused. I paid with credit card in July, and initially there was no charge. Then in September I got an email saying there was an issue and I needed to contact Mishimoto. When I called (sept 15) I was told that the radiators were now in stock, and that the card authorization had expired, that they needed to run the card again, and that the radiator would ship in a few days. The charge appears on my statement on Sept. 15.

On October 13, I emailed to find out what was going on and received this response:
"Jason,

Thanks for the email. We apologize for the delay, however, it looks like we had a larger demand for these than expected and sold out quickly. These are back ordered, however, we expect to have them back in stock on or about 10/16. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please feel free to reach out to us at 302-762-4501.

Please let me know if there is anything else we may assist you with.

Thanks,

Chris Black
Mishimoto Automotive

Please contact us at [email protected]!"

And now you're telling me they were never in stock?

That's what I thought, and why I'm confused. I paid with credit card in July, and initially there was no charge. Then in September I got an email saying there was an issue and I needed to contact Mishimoto. When I called (sept 15) I was told that the radiators were now in stock, and that the card authorization had expired, that they needed to run the card again, and that the radiator would ship in a few days. The charge appears on my statement on Sept. 15.

On October 13, I emailed to find out what was going on and received this response:
"Jason,

Thanks for the email. We apologize for the delay, however, it looks like we had a larger demand for these than expected and sold out quickly. These are back ordered, however, we expect to have them back in stock on or about 10/16. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please feel free to reach out to us at 302-762-4501.

Please let me know if there is anything else we may assist you with.

Thanks,

Chris Black
Mishimoto Automotive

Please contact us at [email protected]!"

And now you're telling me they were never in stock?

They were not in stock, I'm not sure why that would have happened but we're looking into it. It sounds like there may have been a glitch with our system that told Chris that the rads were in stock and that's why he reauthorized your card. That system does not show if an item is in pre-sale, so they just see that an item has sales but no stock (back-ordered), so that's why he would have told you that we sold out.

I apologize for the confusion, we're still ironing out details on pre-sales so please bear with us. We're shooting to have these out by the end of the month and I'll let you know as soon as I know when they're about to ship.

Thanks,

-Steve

Well i took a chance and ordered one today, hopefully i see it soon

Alright. I wasn't bitching, just trying to make sense of all the conflicting information I've been getting.

Thanks.

No problem, I apologize again for the confusion.

FWIW, I recently swapped in a stock replacement Mishimoto 2 row in place of my junk 3 core champion. The quality and fitment was great. It holds temp much more stable than the champion paper weight I took out.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad it's working out for you!

Well i took a chance and ordered one today, hopefully i see it soon

We hope so too; we've gotten some great feedback from the third-party reviewers that we sent early models out to, so we're excited for you all to get these.

Thanks, I'll keep you all updated.

-Steve

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to let you all know that the pre-sale has ended for these and that those of you who ordered in the pre-sale should be getting shipping notification soon.

Thanks to everybody who ordered!

-Steve

I thought we were going to get an advance notice before the pre-sale ended...

Oh well.

Glad to hear they are getting closer to shipping. I will be curious to hear how they perform.

I thought we were going to get an advance notice before the pre-sale ended...

Oh well.

Glad to hear they are getting closer to shipping. I will be curious to hear how they perform.

Me too, sorry about that :doh:. We had a delay in shipping that made it hard to get visibility on product, so when they did arrive, we wanted to get them out to customers right away. If you're interested and were hoping to get the rad at pre-sale pricing, please PM me and I can probably help you out.

Thanks,

-Steve

Back