• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unsettling front left side

Vernicious

NAXJA Forum User
99XJ Sport, 4.5", 31s, NP231.

As I'm driving if I run over something with my front left wheel at speed (45 MPH or higher) I get an "unsettled" feeling in the front end. It doesn't feel like a wobble, but I could be mistaken. It doesn't happen on the right side, just the left. If I had to pin a term on it, it almost feels like the shock is worn out but it's fairly new. Could this be the beginning of the dreaded DW?

DW often starts out mildly, but progresses to full blown DW quickly. Each time the symptoms occur, DW adds damage to the worn parts that allow it to begin, and the damage increases in severity, and spreads to other suspension/steering parts.

Maybe you have a bad ball joint.

Time to check the front end and replace everything that is worn or loose.

I intend to troubleshoot this as a DW. It's just odd as it is not a wobble, just and unsettled feeling. It's almost like the wheel doesn't stop oscillating for a fraction of a second after hitting a bump. I guess only time will tell...

That could be caused by anything from improperly balanced tires that still run good on smooth pavement to loose or worn parts or a combination of the above. For example, a loose or worn steering dampener could cause it as could bad ball joints. You can have nothing more than a barely loose TRE and hit a bump and you spill your coffee. The Jeeps and other suspensions with a solid axle and track bar are highly sensitive to worn parts. By comparison you could have a Honda with tie rod ends that hop up and down when you shake the tires back and forth but you never get death wobble because it's a completely different suspension.

I intend to troubleshoot this as a DW. It's just odd as it is not a wobble, just and unsettled feeling. It's almost like the wheel doesn't stop oscillating for a fraction of a second after hitting a bump. I guess only time will tell...

Time to crawl under there and watch and feel all the joints for any play while someone cranks the wheel back and forth with the engine running.

I would check the tires for any abnormal wear. If you dont know how to identify abnormal wear on the tires its for the most part tires that are significantly more worn in one place than another.Abnormal wear can be caused by multiple parts very often by a bad alignment and may fix the issue you are describing. Hub assembly's are another thing to check. Typically these make noise when worn but could still be possible. The u joints on both the wheels and transfer case shaft can also do this. Dont know what kind of tires you have on but if they are out of balance this could cause abnormal responses as well. All of what I said can be looked up on youtube in the event that you are not sure what I am referring to. Good luck!

That is, what you described is death wobble. You got lucky it was just an early warning mild case (so far) at that speed. I have had three cases that would make most people shit their pants. It feels like there is no real steering control, and the front end jumps side to side and up down, at least mine did. I have had mild cases that were worse, and real bad ones right out of no where with no prior warning. Check every single part in the front end, replace anything that is marginal. I had total steering control loss at 50 mph on Thanksgiving eve last year that lasted for about 20 seconds. No brakes and no steering control, had to let it die out on its own and any braking or steering attempt made it worse. I was lucky I was in the middle of no where with no stop light ahead and no vehicles near me.

Last edited:
DW often starts out mildly, but progresses to full blown DW quickly. Each time the symptoms occur, DW adds damage to the worn parts that allow it to begin, and the damage increases in severity, and spreads to other suspension/steering parts.

Yup, it's definitely getting worse, I'll get under it this weekend and see what I can find.

That is, what you described is death wobble. You got lucky it was just an early warning mild case (so far) at that speed. I have had three cases that would make most people shit their pants. It feels like there is no real steering control, and the front end jumps side to side and up down, at least mine did. I have had mild cases that were worse, and real bad ones right out of no where with no prior warning. Check every single part in the front end, replace anything that is marginal. I had total steering control loss at 50 mph on Thanksgiving eve last year that lasted for about 20 seconds. No brakes and no steering control, had to let it die out on its own and any braking or steering attempt made it worse. I was lucky I was in the middle of no where with no stop light ahead and no vehicles near me.

Wasn't sure, but now that I know I feel it and can tell what it's doing. The front axle shakes side to side. I feel a small tick right as I hit the gas if I'm turning left. Didn't really notice it before, but now that I'm paying attention I can feel it. I'm guessing if I find the tick, I'll find the DW.

I doubt it, I have an IRO double shear that I put in it last Nov.

So? Everything wears out. Did you torque the bolts properly- all of them, to include the mounts? Did you apply thread lock to keep them properly torqued?

Track Bar is a notorious issue on these trucks.

So? Everything wears out. Did you torque the bolts properly- all of them, to include the mounts? Did you apply thread lock to keep them properly torqued?

Track Bar is a notorious issue on these trucks.

If my IRO doubleshear trackbar is worn out in the slightest after 5,000 miles, I want my money back. For the record, it is tight, all the connections are good. It's not my TB.

Looks like the steering gear is starting to go. I crawled under it and all the steering stuff is tight. However, there's a definite knock, looks like the steering gear where the Pitman arm attaches goes back and forth ever so slightly. So now on a search for a new (to me, since they're all remanned anymore anyway) steering gearbox. Suggestion?

They are available new, but you wouldn't like the price!

Back