• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this rust fixable?

elwoodblues

NAXJA Forum User
I need to do something about the rust on my XJ soon or decide to sell it. The body doesn't have a spec of rust anywhere but the undercarriage is a different story. I've only had it 2 years, so way too late for me to prevent any.

First major issue is the floors. Holes under each floor mat and cargo area.
Second major issue is the driver's side frame rail- about a 12" section is rotted out on the bottom (pic attached)
JmJvyiv.jpg

Third major issue is the leaf spring shackles, the front ones are getting pretty nasty. The thick metal the leaf springs directly attach too seems ok but everything around the plating is crispy. I can take better pics if these aren't good enough.
Passenger side:
00AdJB3.jpg

mhpP93P.jpg

Driver's side:
efBGK6w.jpg

Qj9PY9m.jpg

The stuff in the pics is oily because I sprayed it with fluid film. I can't weld, so I'll have to take it to a shop. Does everyone think it's fixable for a budget of 2 grand? Not a firm budget but a $7000 job ain't in the cards!

Thanks!

Is the Jeep worth the cost of repairs, or are you better of finding a clean body that needs a motor and transmission ? I doubt you will find a bodyshop willing to take on that job for $2000 or less. My 98 is getting rusty, but at + 270,000 miles it will be scrap when the rust renders it unsafe.

A set of TnT, RuffStuff, or similar frame rail stiffeners will extend the safe and useful life of the Jeep, but will require welding. If you perform most or all of the prep work it won't cost $2,000 to weld those on.

If you find it can't be fixed, or will cost a buyer 7k or even 2K it would be irresponsible to sell it without telling a buyer about it. Let them make up their mind then. Otherwise sell it for parts only. Just sayin'

For a budget of $2,000 I'd start looking for a clean(er) body donor. Something with a blown engine, trans, etc that you can swap your drive train into. IF you could weld I'd say take a closer look at patching things up. As mentioned above, frame stiffeners are an option, thetc right ones will also give you a little material to tie your spring brackets into. As to who's to use I would definitely go with RuffStuff's. They have good coverage and the are one of our sponsors. If you do the prep work you may be able to find someone around here that would do the welding for beer and pizza. Not trying to pressure you but more often than not members tend to be more receptive other red letters.

Good luck with your project.

Back