• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Access fuel pump thru hole cut in floor of cargo area?

soyjer

NAXJA Forum User
XJ ('97-'01): Is there any reason that an access port hole could not/should not be carefully cut in the cargo area floor above the fuel pump in order to facilitate replacement of the fuel pump? Many vehicles have an access port there, but many, like the XJ, do not. Especially odd that the XJ has no access port, considering that the only fuel filter is in the tank, and this IS a vehicle used offroad, where fuel contamination is a real possibility.

Possible problems:
Explosion if not careful when cutting.
Weakening of unibody structure?
Something above fuel pump that I am not yet aware of that would block access?

I used an air chisel with a forked bit to change the pressure regulator, but the pump would be the same except with a larger hole.. The fork limited the cutting depth and kept me from damaging the tank. I then secured a cover panel with very short self-tapping screws.
DSCF0303_595.jpg

i.php

This is from a different jeep, for this one the tank was dropped first - much easier.

DSCF0827_595.jpg

Nice.

I like what he suggests with a hole saw, assuming you can keep it from meeting the tank.

I don't particularly care for the wood spacer though. Wood expands and contracts with changes in moisture. A better option, as has already been suggested, is to cut a patch panel out of a junkyard donor.

I would also suggest sealing with butyl tape. CR Laurence RM140 Sunroof Butyl Tape works well. There are probably other, similar products that will do the job just fine too. Butyl is nice because it provides a good, weather and chemical resistant seal, but doesn't harden up and become impossible to service.

I have done this job on my '02 Suburban. Some of the details will differ, but the overall process should be pretty close. It is written up here: http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...nel-in-a-2002-suburban-not-a-short-cut-method

Nice.

I like what he suggests with a hole saw, assuming you can keep it from meeting the tank.

I don't particularly care for the wood spacer though. Wood expands and contracts with changes in moisture. A better option, as has already been suggested, is to cut a patch panel out of a junkyard donor.

I would also suggest sealing with butyl tape. CR Laurence RM140 Sunroof Butyl Tape works well. There are probably other, similar products that will do the job just fine too. Butyl is nice because it provides a good, weather and chemical resistant seal, but doesn't harden up and become impossible to service.

I have done this job on my '02 Suburban. Some of the details will differ, but the overall process should be pretty close. It is written up here: http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...nel-in-a-2002-suburban-not-a-short-cut-method

I always tell myself that I am going to just cut out a big section of the cargo pan in that area in a Jeep in the boneyard someday. If and when I ever do my pump I am going to drop the tank but still cut a hatch. Figure with a bigger section of floor will just be able to cover what I open without having to use the wood like he did. In a perfect world if I did the pump I would not have to ever go back in there and not need the hatch but......

Back