• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death wobble disappears

BCKNBLK

NAXJA Forum User
Hate to beat a dead horse, but maybe this would help someone along the way.
'01 XJ. Replaced all of the steering components (except the box) about 9 months ago. The stuff I threw out was all the original pieces. Drove nice, but a few months later the death wobble showed up anyway. Checked it out myself and also had a 4x4 shop look things over, and we both realized the front suspension pieces were worn, everything was original-16 years old. Installed R/E adjustable upper and lower arms, replaced the four main balljoints, and replaced the differential bushings that connect to the upper arms. It drives better than the day I drove it off the showroom floor. Death wobble has failed to occur since. So basically, look for anything worn out and make it all like-new. Hope this helps.

I discovered that a bent rim, 1/4" out of round, and 2" of tow in is real bad too LOL.

Back