• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need XJ Gurus' help on AW4 in my CJ7 w/360

Now I'm not sure what the correct answer is. I have modded to make it fit tight, but possibly should reverse that.

Damn.

I think I need a beer.

Possibly a trip to junkyard tomorrow, too.

Done.

When the flexplate is unbolted from the converter via the 4 bolts, I can reach through the bolt holes with a curved pick and shove the converter back towards the trans an easy 1/4".

As much as your answer hurts me... Thanks a ton for your help and for checking. I really appreciate it.

Haha, wish I had seen this in time. Yeah, there has been anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" of sliding space on every aw4/4.0 pair I have ever dealt with.

I do have a brand new remanufactured torque converter I bought in 2010 (...and then found out the trans I got it for, from a 99, wouldn't natively work with my 96, and it was my DD, so I wanted to slam a new trans in and drive it instead of dinking around swapping parts while it was out, leading to me learning way more than I ever wanted to about AW4s and writing that other thread) and got as far as filling with fluid and mating to the trans before tossing it in storage and forgetting about it. I gave the trans it was in away to another local NAXJA member just to get it out of my way and can't sell the TC to save my life now. Cost me $160 new, I've been asking $50 for the converter. If you can figure out how I should ship a TC with fluid in it without being deemed a terrorist when the package starts leaking ATF, and are interested, let me know.

You can probably just cut the welds as long as the area on the TC "feet" under the bolt head is undamaged, though. The flexplate is thin enough that I doubt the area not clamped by the bolt head contributes much torque transfer, really.

Make sure you put the big load spreading washer/plate with the bolt holes in it over the flexplate and under the bolts, btw. I have seen people put it between the crank and the flexplate, which will result in the flexplate cracking much faster than it otherwise would. And (I doubt you are unaware of this, but it sucked to watch a friend learn the hard way...) make sure you have the two BH to engine block alignment dowels in the lower bellhousing bolt holes or it'll eat the converter neck, pump, and input seal in a hurry.

So you are saying the TCs on 89-01 jeep, 4.0 engines with AW4s are not the same?

How about 2wd versus 4wd in the same year?

My stupid phone just crashed and ate my response. Too annoyed to write it up in as much detail again.

Far as I know there is no year difference on torque converters. There is a difference 2.5L vs 4.0L (only very rare 87-90 4spd 4cyl autos with 4.56 diffs got the aw4 behind the 2.5L) because the engines are super different with different bellhousing patterns, flexplates, converters, and bellhousings, but I can find no evidence of the 4.0L AW4 torque converter ever changing. Most online parts houses agree and those that don't seem to think the XJ used the same chrysler trans as wranglers or grands, so they can safely be ignored.

Yeah, there has been anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" on every AW4/4.0 pair I have ever dealt with

This is good to know as I was thinking I had gotten the wrong converter. In an email conversation with Cruiser this morning I had asked that question. It seemed like an anomaly since I had swapped this tranny and did not notice that "slide room" but I DID notice it on this. My concern was that if it slid forward 1/4" it could unseat and/or the "notch" on the torque converter might be exposed past the seal (which is leaking on my MJ). So before I drop the tranny to check the seal and replace it, I won't fret about the 1/4"

FWIW the torque converter does have "TOYOTA" stamped on it.

Thanks for the info.

Back