NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > OEM Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 10th, 2017, 18:13
NAXJA Member

infrared gun oil pan temps?

Any of you with an infrared gun willing to take oil pan temps?

My passenger side seems to run about 180, but the driver side next to the downpipe is 220ish
Old August 12th, 2017, 15:58
NAXJA# 2091

Re: infrared gun oil pan temps?

I had that problem (or thereabouts) when the PO had reused a bad exhaust flange gasket at the manifold to tail pipe gasket. My main overheating, and low oil pressure problem was when I came to a stop, only after getting off the freeway from a 1 hour drive, at a stop light. When I replaced that gasket my oil filter and coolant temps dropped about 20 F. And the Min oil pressure increased about 7 psi. The leak was mainly at higher rpms under load, which is why the 3 muffler shop inspections missed it for 3 years.

40 F difference is significant, very significant unless there is no oil in the pan..... You got me thinking again of putting a ceramic insulating pad on that side of the oil pan on mine. Or two steel clamps clamping some insulation just on the oil pan side of the pipe? I was about to do that to the 96 Ford Taurus before my son sold it. It had the pipe "3/4" from the damn oil filter between the engine and radiator.

The infrared radiation from the pipe may be part of it and the proximity to the oil pan never made any damn sense to me.

All my temp tests focused on the oil filter housing temp while the engine was running with the infrared tester. Have you tested it to compare???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post

My passenger side seems to run about 180, but the driver side next to the downpipe is 220ish
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old August 12th, 2017, 16:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post

Where did you take your measurements?

I went for a 20 mile drive after some maintenance this morning to heat up my AW4 and check levels. I crawled back under to take IR measurements when I got back home as it was idling in the garage:

Driver side: 180
Passenger side: 170

I took my measurements at the front lower corners of the sump. If I tried to take a temp measurement between the tubes of the header, it was around 205. I don't feel like that is really an accurate measurement of sump temperature though, as the pan is likely radiating a lot heat from the header at very close proximity.
Old August 12th, 2017, 18:57
NAXJA Member

Thanks for the reading and info

Having some engine temperature issues and looking at ways to reduce. May do a remote filter and cooler to try and pull some heat off.