• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble

jeeperjack

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 XJ with a RE 4.5" lift. When i am driving over 45 mph i sometimes get death wobble on my front right wheel. If someone could tell me what causes this and how to fix it i would be very greatful.

thanks for any help

Death wobble or just a wiggle coming from that side? Methinks you have the wrong idea of death wobble. ;) When you have change flying out of the tray and you feel like the front axle is going to come off, that's death wobble. :D

First thing I'd try is checking to see if there's not a glob of mud stuck inside the wheel or something. Then I'd jack up that side and see if there isn't play in the ball joints or unibearings. Grab the wheel at 12/6 o'clock positions and wiggle back and forth. Then grab at 3/9 o'clock positions and repeat wiggle. If those are fine perhaps you lost a balancing weight...

jeeperjack said:
the change is flying and the axle feels like it is going to fall off

Straight up on the bar above..........................................................................................^ is the 'search' feature. Click on it and type in 'death wobble'. There are many causes and it has been discussed over and over. :) Give that a shot and read up on it. MANY different factors involved, so it's a process of elimination.

Good luck!

Back