• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Cut/No Drill Wider Fender Flares?

rwmtn80y

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all - I have been scouring forums and google, and I'm starting to think what I want doesn't exist.

I have a 99 XJ, 4.5" lift on 31x10.5s. Rig is going to be an "expedition" type rig, so I'm not trying to go super tall or wide tires, and it won't be wheeled ultra-hard.

I'm running the older, factory jeep 5-spoke wheels. On my current setup, the tires -just- fit inside the stock flares, and already sling a lot of mud/water up the side of the truck.

I would like to pick up a set of wheels with different backspace to widen the stance, add a bit of stability when the truck is loaded with gear. The catch is that in my state (WV), tires have to be covered by the flares to pass inspection.

I'm looking for a set of no cut/no drill factory mounting, but WIDER fender flares. Is this a total fool errand project? On 31's at 4.5, I'm having a really hard time justifying cutting fenders etc etc, and dealing with body issues down the road (solid body XJs are already hard to find with the salt here).

Thanks for any guidance,

S

I am in precisely the same position. I have been considering the expensive option of having a local shop help fabricate them out of metal to fit exactly as the stock ones but be flat and wider. I have a really clean 98 that I don't want to start hacking on just yet.

Well, I can tell you what works for me...for much of the same reasons you are pursuing, with an "expedition" theme...

I have about 5.5 inches of lift on my '98, and I can safely clear BFG 32 x 11.50's, on 4" backspaced black steel wheels with a 7' width. I run the stock fender flairs, and the sides of the tires come pretty much even with the edge of the flair.

No body trimming, no new flairs. It appears that if you jump up to 33's, that's when you have to start trimming metal to clear body parts. The incremental lift to 33's was not worth it to me, for the reasons mentioned...

It doesn't sound like diameter is the issue. It's the width and the tread outside the edge of the flare.
I think any of the aftermarket flares would be fine as long as you prime and paint the holes you drilled after. You could even add some silicone when you mount them to protect even more. The stock flares are attached to holes in the fender so it's not that big of a deal. I'd bet your screws are completely rusted too.

If you need to pass inspection, you can tack on some landscape edging to get you by until you find the solution you are looking for.

What I get is that you just need to widen the stock flare. The cheap easy way to do it would be to use some rubber or plastic flashing or garden edging. Attach it to the under side of the factory flare and you can cut to width and aesthetic taste. Otherwise look to the aftermarket. Many manufacturers make them. Of course Bushwacker but I like Napier Precision Products for looks and cost. They also hold up well. Bushwacker is also great and what others are judged by but cost more.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

In terms of pure inspection - I might be able to an inch wider, and still be in the grey of "under the fenders" - but I'm already slinging stuff up the side of the truck, which is part of the rationale.

I may end up just doing some rubber on the stock, but I hate that there are no "use the factory mount point" flares. All of them are step one, sawzall pie slices and bend the fender.

Thanks for the feedback!

S

Technically WV law states that you can have 3" of tire outside the flare, but an inspection station will still throw a fit. Where do you get your modified at btw? im In your neck of the woods (kinda)

Back